Sleeping alone on campouts

It seems to me that both the "no 3 year difference" and "no tenting along" are ideas that are not BSA rules, but that some people think are good common-sense rules of thumb. I certainly think that no younger, inexperienced scout should be tenting alone. On the other hand, I just don't see a problem with the 17-year-old experienced SPL sleeping in his own tent, as long as it isn't isolated.

RE: three-year rule. I believe that it is part of the information presented in Youth Protection Training. And I thing it is a two-year difference rule. That would make it policy.

Our troop has a "tradition" of arriving very late to campsites on Friday nights. Our guys "throw down" and sleep out under the stars. Only the moms set up tents and the boys help them. It is not uncommon to have three guys sharing a 10'X 8' plastic tarp for a grund sheet. Rain? That's what the second 10'X 8' plastic tarp is for. I sleep out under the stars myself. That 10'X8' palatic tarp has kept me dry on several occassions. If it rains during the day? Hey, "Troop Nap Time!". there is a bit more to it, but it all revolves around using duct tape (duck tape?).