This summer my troop will be heading out to Philmont (our fith visit) and have had a very structured training program to prepare. Its about the same as our other philmont or extended backpacking treks.

I was wondering if any other troops had training programs for philmont and what theirs entailed.

Well... Heres what we did and are doing.

Getting accepted to go to Philmont for the summer of 2005 back in january of 2004:

Req'd hike in March of the PA-Nj ATof 8 miles and 5 miles in 2 days

Crew leaders elected in April

Req'd hike in May of 4 miles friday afternoon, 8 miles saturday, 4 miles sunday

Crews picked in May

Req'd hike in June of 9 miles saturday 9 miles sunday by crew

PT meeting June

PT meeting Sept

Req'd Crew hike march 9 miles sat and 9 miles sunday

2 PTs in march

2 PTs in april

3 PTs in May

Req'd hike in may of the NY AT of 4 miles friday, 9 miles sat, 13 miles sun

1 PT in June

2 hikes by crew in June of 20-22 miles in 2 days each.

Philmont

PTs (Physical Training) 6:30 am-8:45 am

15 minutes of stretching

warm up mile

stair running

indian sprints

suicide sprints

sit ups-pushups

45mins to hour game like Ultimate Frisbee

Good golly!

My crews called me ugly names concerning our prep for Philmont 2004 and it was nothing like this. Hope you've found ways to make it fun.

A number of these are called "required." What do you do if someone misses one?

-mike

The scheduale had been planned last summer and provided to each scout and leader attending Philmont. They have all signed commitment forms as well. To miss something they have to notify myself or the other scoutmaster in advance with a good reason and then its made up.

The reality, our pre-high adventure prep years are not that far different from our regular years. Scouts in our troop are the kind that enjoy things like this.

PTs (Physical Training) 6:30 am-8:45 am

15 minutes of stretching

warm up mile

stair running

indian sprints

suicide sprints

sit ups-pushups

45mins to hour game like Ultimate Frisbee

I suggest first doing the warm up mile and then the stretching. It's much better to stretch once the muscles and tendons are warm and have lots of blood flowing through them. If you don't want to switch, then at least do 3-5 minutes of just jumping around and shaking arms and legs to loosen up before the stretching. Also, I don't think all the sprints will help that much. How important is it to be quick at Philmont? Work on core strength. Situps and push ups are fine, but do other exercises that help the core strength. That will be very benificial hiking, especially with full packs.

I'm taking my 12 year old daughter down the Grand Canyon April 8-10. I'm trying to do at least a five mile hike every weekend from now til then. We may run some stairs this weekend instead; she's starting to complain about all the hiking. I'm mostly worried about being used to the time hiking. It'll be ~10 miles out and 4500' up the canyon, I figure that will be a good long days hike for her (me too). In light of that, I'd like a long hike, maybe 12 miles, with just day pack the week before and a short hike the next day with pack for about an hour, two max.

I'd really love to do a Philmont trek someday. You should have a great trip!

SWScouter

Sprints are a good way to build up short burst endurance and getting used ot lactic acid buildup. The way inidan sprints work is the crew jobs in a strait line and the guy in the back sprints up to the front of the line and when he gets there the new rear guy does the same, and so on and so on, all while going about a mile or more.

FSscouter- Blood. Along with their soul. :p