Could someone please tell me the process to apply for the Order of the Arrow Trail Crew?

How selective is it?

For any one who has gone, is it worth doing?

If I go, this will be my first trip to Philmont. Should I chose a diffrent program for a first time?

Thanks,

Eaglepacker

Eaglepacker,

OA Trail Crew may be one of the best kept secrets in scouting!

My first trip to Philmont was many moons ago, but I've heard it's an excellent program. And you can't beat the price of $150 for 2 weeks in the mountains - even if the first involves some hard work. The bonus is you'll be totally acclimated to the altitude and really ready to roll when you hit the trail the second week.

I heard they still had a few openings at the beginning of this summer ('04), but I wouldn't wait too long to apply.

If you're looking for options to get to Philmont and are ready for a real challenge, I heartily recommend the Rayado Program. I have done this one and can say without hesitation that it changed my life. Cost is about $600, but it's a 20-day adventure. I spent some time talking with the Rangers who ran the Rayado program this summer and was impressed by the updates they've made. Still lots of hard core adventure that regular crews don't get to do.

For more info, try the following:

http://www.philstaff.com/phpr.html

I couldn't find an official BSA site with the detailed info and forms, but you can request them from the site above by clicking on "Request More Info" at the bottom of the left column.

Good luck!

-mike