Scout medical emergencies

I was wondering how many Troops travel with a parental medical emergency release form for Scouts on every weekend camp-out/outing. I understand that this would facilitate rapid treatment for less severe emergencies, such as "stitches" and broken fingers. Is there an *all encompassing BSA Form * to *Be Prepared* ? Thanks, Greeneagle5

Hello Greeneagle,

If you look at the front of the BSA medical form, you will see a medical permission statement for the parents to sign.

I would hope that EVERY unit would take medical forms on EVERY outing. I won't bore you with war stories, but you would be amazed what would not be considered an emergency (meaning that parental permission is required) if you don't have those forms.

Also, particularly for major trips, be sure that you have a FRESH form. It can make a big difference if the form was signed a couple of days before and if it is a year old. Under any circumstances, the form should not be more than a year old.

And even with all this, emergency rooms can still decline to treat other than relief of pain until parents are physically present. So be sure, if possible, to have good contact information for parents including cell phones, etc. There are circumstances where the emergency room will want to talk to the parents before doing anything.

One final thought. Be sure to have medical permission forms for the adults too. I heard of at least one situation where an adult was unconscious and a form was needed for that adult.

Her That Must Be Obeyed works at the local ER.She informs me that the ER will treat without permission if it is a life threatening emergency.

In all other cases they do need permission to treat.

Before the last Jamboree we had a permission form made that went a little further then the BSA forms, we included dental work.

Eamonn

As a follow on concerning how an adult could become unconscious, a couple of years ago, my wife was on a hike where her tentmate who is diabetic went into insulin shock. It was pretty scary and she had to administer appropriate wilderness first aid several miles from the trailhead.

On our last Wood Badge, there were 8 people (staff plus participants) whose medical form said they were diabetic.

Also, to add to Eamonn's post, the ER will treat if THEY think it is life threatening I believe to the extent that they believe it is no longer life threatening.

There also needs to be a modification to permission slips due to HIPPA regulations which permit the unit leaders to receive information on the Scout. I recently heard of a story where a Scout was taken into the ER with a permission slip and the Scout was treated. The SM then asked how the Scout was and was told "We can't tell you. Your permission slip gives you the right to order treatment and we treated the Scout. But under the new privacy laws, unless the permission slip explicitly gives you the right to know, only the parent can find out what the status is and what we did."

I don't believe the BSA medical form has been modified yet in line with HIPPA.