Has any here ever attended the Camporee at The United States Military Academy at West Point?

Our Troop has been accepted to go to this year's event, and it will be the first time for us. I'd love to hear anything anyone can tell us about the experience, and how to help our Scouts make it great for them.

We have all of the materials, and we think we understand everything. I'm wondering if there are any pitfalls to worry about, or things to make sure we do.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Mark

Info can be found at: http://www.usma.edu/uscc/dca/clubs/scou/index.html

USMA is close by and very Scout friendly. A number of Army sporting events (fooball, basketball, etc) are free to Scouts.

Plus the Camp-o-ree, which is fairly competitive to get selected for - one criteria is that a former member of your troop must be a current cadet to be entered into selection pool.

Our pack visits West point every other year in the spring (in those years when we don't camp by the submarines in Groton or on the battleship Massachusetts - got to give equal time).

The cadets will go over a lot of this with the Cub Scouts. A little less than half of the cadets were in Scouting, so there is a link there.

I would guess that there is a similar range of activities at the other two service academies.

GreenEagle,

Yes, it does seem like it will be very interesting. As Marty points out, as I understand, the selection criteria is tough. I think that you have to have a former Scout from your Troop at the Academy, or have the brother of a cadet in your Troop, to be high on the list for consideration. However, I think a unit can apply without benefit of a direct connection. If you have such a connection, the odds of getting picked, from my understanding, is 2 / 3. Without such a connection, the odds are 1 /5 (these were estimates that our cadet gave us. I'm sure they're off the top of his head).

They have competetive events scheduled, and look to be very interesting. If you have a cadet connection, I would check it out. We haven't yet been there, so I'm only guessing, but I think this will be great.

I was hoping to hear from someone who has been there and can advise me on the logistics: Arrival, campsite selection and setup, meals, etc. Some of the info in the material are a little sketchy.

Anyone?

Mark