Not seeing a lot of activity and chatter for what experienced HA Scouters call the most rugged and remote base in the BSA system; Northern Tier which is bounded by BWCA and Quetico Provincial Park. So who is going? With Jambo, the NT staff tells us that a very limited number of slots are open this year. I have two boys that are going up as Charlie Guides.

Not seeing a lot of activity and chatter for what experienced HA Scouters call the most rugged and remote base in the BSA system; Northern Tier which is bounded by BWCA and Quetico Provincial Park. So who is going? With Jambo' date=' the NT staff tells us that a very limited number of slots are open this year. I have two boys that are going up as Charlie Guides. [/quote']

Actually we found it quite easy to get into HA bases this year as many seemed to be headed to WVA instead. Have crews going to all three with no problem and no wait.

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to put together two crews for 2015. I recieved the promotional pack from NT, but was it was a let down. Looks as if all of BSA promotional budget goes to Philmont and WVA. None of the packets to justice to the true wilderness experience that northern tier provides. It was a real shame. So I am putting to together some power points and videos etc based on things off the internet.

In my opinion NT offers the best "wilderness" experience for the money. Flexable schedules also. I remember as a youth going four days with only seeing two other canoes at a distance in the midst of Quetic (We were north of Agnes).

• 2 weeks later...

Went in 2010. 7 day loop trip. 100 miles paddling, 4 miles portage. There were times the first 2 and last day we saw so many people, I felt I was on the local waterski lake at home. Yahoos everywhere. Middle of the trip we finally got away some and only saw 1 or 2 other parties per day. I have heard the Canadian trips are much more remote.

Been to Philmont, NT and Seabase. All offer different amounts of wilderness. It depends on your trek, time of season, distrance traveled during trek, etc. My son went to NT first, Philmont the following year and Seabase this coming summer. His response is "it seems we are choosing easier trips with each HA". It could be he started at age fourteen and is now 17. And it could be after you have been on one HA, the next one seems easy because you have already tested yourself and know you can travel very long distances in remote wilderness with virtually no gear and live very comfortably.

If you are looking for a remote excursion, opt for the Canadian trips of NT. BWCA is virtually remote and mostly unpopulated with other travelers but it seemed like a lot more travelers than I was expecting.