Movies for Citizenship in the Community

One of the requirements for the Citizenship in the Community merit badge is to watch a movie that depicts an individual or group having a positive effect on a community.

I have some ideas, and the scouts have submitted some ideas to me, but would like to hear suggestions from the Forum, so I get a nice cross section to choose from.... I'm all ears, er... eyes.... :-)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well of course there is the saga of Lemuel Siddons and the friendly folks of Hickory

Then instead of going the usual route, what about the Magnificent Seven and the way they taught the village to defend itself.

The Bridge Over the River Kwai and how Col Nicholson gave the prisoners pride and a goal.

The Great Escape and how the prisoners worked together to accomplish a goal for the community.

Then again there is Julia Roberts as Erin Brockovich

Or Bing Crosby in Going My Way

These may be obvious,

On how one individual can effect the community,

Follow Me, Boys

It's A Wonderful Life

Mr. Holland's Opus

You might want to think about Casablanca and Mr.Rick's effect on the community...but please do not compare DE's to Captain Renault.:)

SA

It's true, there does seem to be little middle ground on Napoleon Dynamite--either you love it or despise it. What I like about it is that it shows a real outsider having a positive influence on his community, basically as a result of an act of kindness he performs for a friend.

• 1 month later...

"It's true, there does seem to be little middle ground on Napoleon Dynamite--either you love it or despise it. What I like about it is that it shows a real outsider having a positive influence on his community, basically as a result of an act of kindness he performs for a friend."

Well said.

I've watched the movie once. I scratched my head through some of it, and also remembered a kid from Middle and High school who not only acted, but almost looked like Napoleon....

Personally - I'd stay away from it with a young audeince, but with an older audience, it could make a really good movie to watch and have a discussion over.

Jon