Movies for Citizenship in the Community

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

We are watching the movie "Boycott," a 2001 HBO movie about Rosa Parks, the Montgomery bus boycott, and the growth of Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. and Rev. Ralph David Abernathy as Civil Rights leaders. The movie is long, but is good (we're splitting it over two periods). It is rated PG, and had 3.5 stars from the video guide I referenced. There are a number of leaders in this movie who make sacrifices. So far, the discussion has been good.

• 10 months later...

Footloose with kevin bacon fits the bill perfectly, two opposing communities, a community working together, great city council scene with a bible passage, good looking girls, and a fight and dance scene. A dude film.

Footloose with kevin bacon fits the bill perfectly, two opposing communities, a community working together, great city council scene with a bible passage, good looking girls, and a fight and dance scene. A dude film.

"Rodger and Me". Local kid who is distressed that GM is closing its plant in Flint, MI. Shows the dichotomy of the hardship of working-class people to the insensitivity of corporate magnets. The rabbit skinning scene may be a bit much for younger scouts though. And it was written, produced and starring an Eagle scout to boot!

How about "Mr. Smith goes to Washington"?

Great film, it even has the "Boy Rangers" in it. Teaches the boys about good citizenship and doing the right thing despite all odds.

Actually any Frank Capra film would be great, including the previous suggestion of "It's a wonderful Life".

• 4 weeks later...

For younger crowds particularly, I highly recommend any of "The ButterCream Gang" films from Feature Films for Families. The one titled "No More Baths" particularly comes to mind. In this film, the kids refuse to take baths until a man who is about to become homeless is allowed to keep his home (as I remember)

Also, I loved Rigoletto from this same company. In this film, a young girl goes to work for a disfigured man who eventually teaches her to sing. She, in turn, shows him that his heart is uglier than his face will ever be and the end is astonishing.

Just about any movie from this company would work for this requirement. When my own kids were small, I bought nearly every film they had. Great family entertainment with no objectionable language, no obvious violence, and no "adult" scenes or humor. Very good stuff.

I would go with To Kill a Mockingbird. It is a great movie and the book is still taught in some schools (my son read it 7th and 9th grades) lit. classes. For film buffs it includes a very early performance, if not the screen debut of a now-famous actor... the guy who played Boo Radley, Robert DuVall.

Just thought of another one, a little obscure. Screen it before showing it to the assembled masses. STAND AND DELIVER. Edward James Olmos (the boss of Sonny Crockett on Miami Vice) is an inner-city high school math teacher who takes a bunch of underachievers and convinces them they can win a math/calculus competition. Leadership, goal setting, individual and group accomplishment.

• 2 months later...

"You might want to think about Casablanca and Mr.Rick's effect on the community...but please do not compare DE's to Captain Renault."

Why not? Sounds like a perfect match.

DE: "We need someone to run this event. Round up the usual suspects!"