Citizenship in World

9 A)Attend a World Jamboree. Could you not count National Jamboree for 9 B) Take part in an international event in your area since there were scouts from around the world there. If my memory is correct there was even an international day.

OK but the following inforatmion was taken directly from the Jamboree web site.

Representatives of 25 Countries Attend Jamboree

The BSA's International Division extended an invitation to attend the 2005 National Scout Jamboree to all national Scout associations that are members of the World Organization of the Scout Movement. Associations from 25 countries responded to the invitation and sent more than 180 Scouts and 50 leaders to Fort A.P. Hill.

I am a Citizenship in the Worls MB counselor and I would not accept it as a substitute. It is not the specific requirement that is asked for and it is not as though the boy can't do one of the others.

I believe there is a reason that it asks for attendance at a World Jamboree, not just a National.

Just mho. Thanks

9. Do ONE of the following:

a. Attend a world jamboree.

b. Take part in an international event in your area.

c. Visit with a foreign exchange student and discuss his or her country and customs.

d. Study a foreign language for a year.

e. Write an embassy or consulate for material about its country and discuss the material with your counselor.

f. Examine a particular international issue and give a brief oral presentation and a written report to your counselor.

I don't see any reason why the National Jamboree could not count for 9b as he asked. (It was a little awkwardly phrased, with the 9a bit, but he goes on to ask about 9b.)

I would not consider the national jamboree an "international event" simply because some Scouts from other countries happened to be there.

Think about the purpose of the merit badge. What did this Scout learn about world citizenship from attending the national jamboree? Did he meet and interact with any of the world Scouts? Did he visit their camps? Did he take part in any activity that centered around the world Scouts? If so, then I'd say he met the requirement.

But mere attendance means nothing.

I think the intent of 9b is more along the lines of attending, for instance, the large Hispanic festival held in our area. You are literally surrounded by Hispanic culture including people, language, food, music, dance, art, clothing, etc. I don't see National as doing that.

Vicki