New First Class Requirements

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FS - You are absolutely correct. I feel the same way about the "talk to a civic leader" requirement. First, I require them to choose someone significant to talk to, not just their homeroom teacher or someone they are already around all the time. Second, I ask them to take some notes and review with me what they talked about. Some may see this as adding to the requirement, but I see it as holding it to the standard it was intended.

I see troops around me that have one of their parents come in that is a teacher, pastor, school board member, etc., and they sit all the first year scouts in front of them and sign off on that requirement. It's frustrating to me when I see this. I'm afraid this one will be treated in a similar manner by those troops.

As for our troop, we'll do our best to ensure it is used as the BSA intended.

Learning how to tell others of the fun of scouting and helping your unit grow serves no purpose in the development of the scou?

Not the way I have heard or seen the requirement worded. If the Scout says "I did this" that's all he needs to do. No explanation as to who he talked to, what he said, etc. is required. And we can't add or subtract from the requirements now can we.

Now if it was required that the Scout write a one page report on his experience, that would make it better.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Even the best salesperson doesn't close every sale. But what if one scout comes back to the program is it worth having 30 asked?

Whether or not this is a "check off" requirement is dependent on how it is taught and tested just as with any other requirement.

lets look at the requirement Ordinary Rank in the Sea Scouts, the BSA's fastest growing program over the past 5 years.

" 5.Recruit a new member for your ship and follow through until the new member is registered and formally admitted."

Now these ar older scouts, and so they have to actually recruit someone (notice no Sea Scouts are complaining about this requirement).

They need to learn the skill before they get to this point. So the BSA is simply having the scout learn how to invite others to join by learning how to speak positively about the program.

A feat that for some seems extremely challenging.

"Yes, but several of you do not support the BSA on anything"

Well, this just saddens me to see this attitude attributed to myself and others.

I do support the BSA on many, many things. My boys have a great time in Scouts. Our pack is thriving and growing. Our troop is thriving and growing. The boys and the families have a great time together. Many of my sons' good long-term friends are the ones they've met in Scouts. Many of my friends are their parents. We have a great time doing the activities, including some wonderful camping trips. I'm glad I've had the opportunity to work with these people.

Our district volunteers do a nice job. Our DE is great. Our Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmasters are excellent. I support them fully.

My assumption has always been that the great majority of people on these forums do support the BSA on most things, or they wouldn't continue to be involved in Scouting. There are more things that unite us than divide us.

I'm sorry that you post the things you do, at the times when people discuss what they don't like about the program, or how they might like things to be different. Maybe you're right, that we could spend more time discussing the things we do like. I'll try to keep that in mind. I'd love it if everyone *cough*Bob*cough* would work to make the forums a more positive place.

Oak Tree

I don't see what the big deal is. But I would like to see all of the old requirements brought back :-/

The best advancement requirements are those which the Scouts already do naturally in a good program.

How difficult this is for a Scout probably depends on his social skills and self-confidence.

Our Dragon Patrol of class clowns just added another Scouts last night. That makes 13 active Dragons and about five inactive. It helps when a Patrol all hangs out together after school, since it is not much of a secret that they all disappear at the same time once a month for an entire weekend :-/

On the other hand, our nerd Patrol, the Wolves, was unable to invite anyone at all so far this year.

The option of bringing back an inactive Scout is good for the older (non-swimmer) Scouts. Our "Dragon Slayer" Patrol sometimes drags in an old Scouting buddy and surprisingly they do stick around when warmly received.

Boys join (and rejoin) Scouting because somebody asks them.

By the way, the Scout Zone DVD was issued to help Scouts role model for this requirement, see:

http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=106122

Scouts love to help at recruiting assemblies, so they could fulfill the new requirement by answering questions--and, as a bonus, get out of a period if it is held during school hours! See:

http://www.inquiry.net/adult/recruiting.htm

Kudu

Oak Tree

I agree with you completely and I have long posted that the vast majority of scouters are cheerful, loyal, dedicated volunteers. Unfortunately that is not representative of a good number of participants on this forum.

If you look at the posts regarding things such as advancement, uniforms, the Handbooks, training, administation. You will find that an astiounding number of "scouters" represented here are barely even knowledgable dispite YEARS of membership, they dislike and complain about almost every aspect of scouting including about the scouts, their parents, the COs, and the topics I mentioned previously.

I and a few others have long championed that this forum would be far more effective and beneficial if it focused on how to deliver quality scouting rather than being about how to next attack anything they can about the BSA, but unfortunately I am a part of a vocal minority.

The forum is what it is, and unless for some reason those who spend their time attacking the BSA and those who support it, have an epiphany and realize that what is wrong with scouting isn't going to be found among the ones who aren't complaining, then I'm afraid your plea will fall on deaf ears as has the pleas of those of us before you.

As far as how you perceive my posts I invite you to find where I have been critical of anyone wanting to learn the program, wanting to improve their skills, wanting to serve the scouts, or anyone who has supported the program.

My criticism has always been for those who refuse to learn, chase youth away, or are critical of the BSA based on gossip and innuendo.

I am not the only one willing to challenge the damage they do.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Supporting the BSA does not mean not asking questions. Supporting the BSA doesn't mean agreeing completely with everything the BSA does without asking why. Those who ask questions and want to know why are probably more concerned about the BSA than those who feel "because the BSA said so".

I would still like to know the thinking behind this new requirement. And why for 1st Class & not 2nd Class?

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Someone help out.

I see:

Tell someone who is eligible to join Boy Scouts, or an inactive Boy Scout, about your troops activities. Invite him to a troop outing, activity, service project, or meeting. Tell him how to join, or encourage the inactive Boy Scout to become active.

As a very good thing.

I have for a very long time thought that if your Scouting isn't contagious then maybe it's contaminated!

If adding a requirement to First Class to meet the vision and mission of the BSA I'm all for it. If it helps units, districts and councils make quality so much the better.

Who was it who said that the only problem with Boy Scouts is that there aren't enough of them?

Eamonn

Hard to believe this requirement is so controversial that it generates 4 pages of discussion. I see nothing wrong with making a specific point of having a scout discuss scouting with a potential member. It may even generate a few more members. A simple discussion with the scout can be used to confirm the requirement.

SA

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe I missed this thread! I had not heard about the new recruiting requirement, and I've got to say, my first thought was to wonder if, while recruiting, the boys would be expected to use ride their bicycles around the neighborhood while wearing white shirts and black ties. ;)

I am convinced that the source of the requirement is the continuing slide in membership due to some of BSA's increasingly non-mainstream social policies. But whatever the precipitating cause for the new requirement, recruiting is a good thing. After reading 4 pages of discussion, I think I agree with Neil. In fact, when the time comes I think I will introduce the requirement with a SM minute on Bravery.

(now, where did I leave that light bulb?)

Keeping this thread in mind, I asked my newly minted Tenderfoot what he thought about the requirement. He will be one who has to do the recruiting requirement as he will not pass 1st Class by June 30th, 2006 (its the swim thing). He fails to see what the big deal is unless he has to harass his friends until they join.

For us that's where it begins and ends. I don't have to do the requirement, he does. He doesn't see it as an issue, so there is no reason I should.

YiS

Michelle

CM - P102

Good point.

Ya know, for those guys who end up actually recruiting a friend under this requirement (that's the whole point of course), maybe instead of the standard recruiting patch we should award them a palm for their First Class badge!