New First Class Requirements

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I found out that the requirement is the scout has to discuss with a friend who is eligible for scouting or an inactive scout about his troop or words to that effect.

This one seems to have nothing to do with building character, citizenship, or developing fitness, but rather to promote the organization.

I guess that it will warrant a new edition to the handbook. It's supposed to be effective January 1, 2006. Scouts already starting FC will have til mid year 2006 to complete it without the requirement, but how hard can it be to talk to someone. Sounds pretty lame to me.

We were told about the requirement at our local Roundtable meeting a few weeks ago. There were few specifics, but it sounded like the requirement be along the lines of:

Do one of the following:

a) Bring a friend to a Troop Meeting or outing.

b) Discuss with a boy who is eligible for scout membership the benefits of scouting and your troop

c) etc.

Note: The above are not exact quotes of the requirement but I got the impression there would be several alternatives that would focus on one on one recruiting efforts by the scout. There would be no requirement that the eligible boy actually join.

SA

This sounds more like it should go in with Tenderfoot requirements or even Scout. I personally believe it shouldn't go at all. If the troop has a great program, the scout should talk about it anyway.

Actually, Sea Scouts have had a requirement for Ordinary since that award was created in the 1920s to:

"Recruit a new member for your ship and follow through until the new member is registered and formally admitted."

"What's next? Participating in a popcorn or wreath sale?"

Too late, those activities have counted toward advancement to First Class for quite some time already. FC3

Only if they sell popcorn/wreaths as a patrol/troop. Usually it's done individually.

Doing sales as an individual? Doesn't your troopp promote it, explain, distribute the order forms, order stock, plan the money distribution? don't proceeds go to the unit? Thats a unit activity.

Read the literature that comes with popcorn material it eve says that sales counts toward advancement.

Taking part in troop activities applies to requirement 3 of the First Class Rank.

As far as the NEW First Class requirement, it seems harmless enough. The Scout just has to talk to a potential member about scouting. I think teaching boys how to explain to others about the benefits and fun of scouting at an early stage has more pros than cons to it. Of course this means they will need to have good things to say about their Troop's program.