Scout spirit and participation for eagles

The two critical items at this point are the 90 day required merit badges and an Eagle service project.

The aims of Scouting are:

To build character

To foster citizenship

To develop fitness

Attendance is not one of the methods to achieve these aims. If the requirements can be met, he should get what he deserves. A preliminary troop BOR will tell you what kind of character this young man demonstrates. Conduct it like an Eagle BOR. This is not impossible.

I'm not trying to compare becoming an Eagle to becoming an EMT. All I'm saying is becoming an Eagle has time constraints for this boy & becoming an EMT doesn't. If he truly wants to earn his Eagle for the right reasons, then let him.

ASM7,

Good idea!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

I confront this situation occasionally. And...hold onto your hats...I am in complete agreement with Bob White's response. Those simple statements are the key to avoiding some problems with making unnecessary subjective judgements (not to mention adding to the requirements).

I'm basically in agreement that if the Scout has done all the requirements, and lives the Oath and Law outside of scouting, I wouldn't hold him back.

But...I still have to wonder how much one should do to enable this kind of enterprise. It's one thing if there is a boy who has been active in the troop, and just needs a final few items to finish before he ages out. I have nothing against helping such a boy. But when a boy shows up a few months before his birthday after a long period of inactivity, to what extent should the adults mobilize to help him? Usually, it's not just a matter of signing off a few requirements. Rather, it's a matter of finding MBCs who can help him finish the last few in a hurry, other adults who can help with shepherding the paperwork, and everybody in the troop hopping to so he can get his project done in time. It rubs me the wrong way for a boy to expect that kind of assistance if he hasn't been active for a year (and in the case here, he doesn't intend to be active in the future, either). Maybe I'm just grousing, and maybe I'd do it too, if the boy was one I knew, but it just doesn't seem right to me.