Had a recent incident I ran into as I was out herding cats for a week out at Cub Day Camp. Last fall I met a young Life Scout who was at the Roundtable getting his Eagle Project approved. He's been in Scouting since Cub Scouts and was out volunteering at Day Camp. Fast forward 9 months. I asked him how his BOR and COH went. He said it never happened. I ask why not. He went on to tell me his project involved a project at his local YMCA that was done right before his 18th birthday. He said that the lady signed off that the project was completed. Another lady that happened to also work there, but was not involved in the project or the approval, stuck her nose in. She was a mother of an Eagle Scout and wife of an Eagle Scout and was also involved in the program in another troop in the same town. She told this kid that because a door was not completed properly according to his plans, that she was calling the District Advancement Chair and informing him that it wasn't completed so he could forget about the Eagle as she was aware of his birthday.

Thinking the door just slammed on him, he told his dad it was no use, took the paperwork and through it in a drawer. I asked him to bring it in, the signed project, the application, and his other paperwork. I started the appeal, called foul, citing battleexe interference. The District guy agreed and sent the appeal on.

So, what do you think his chance are of getting it through all the hurdles?

WOW! Sounds like someone had an axe to grind! How did this lady know the Scout hadn't listed the unfinished door as a plan change in the final draft?

These are the kind of people you'd like to take out back!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

TP,

Don't rush to a conclusion but tread carefully and listen to both sides of the story. There is always more going on than we would like to think in any given situation. Even after we hear the basic information, look deeper and try to discern the hidden elements. Motive is not as easily found.

FB

Hello Trail Pounder,

Why is an appeal needed? The boy has not, as you have described matters, been rejected for Eagle Scout. Did the boy's Scoutmaster refuse to give him a Scoutmaster Conference?

He needs to meet with the Board of Review. The Board may decide to do an unusual thing and go into recess to obtain more information, particularly about the project. But the Board has the authority to decide that the project was completed in spite of what this one woman has to say.

However, as Fuzzy Bear said, there are two sides to every story. Maybe this woman just has a bone to pick. Maybe there is something else. In case of doubt, the judgement should to go the benefit of the Scout.

I would also suggest that the Scout do as thorough a job as possible of documenting his project with many photos if possible, presuming that he can still get access.(This message has been edited by NeilLup)

• 3 weeks later...

Glad common sense and compassion prevailed! Also glad the scout didn't, in a fit of disgust and understandable anger, destroy the documents. In my youth, I could see myself doing something like that. Throwing it in a drawer was a relatively mild response.

Vicki