Swimming MB and rank requirements

The swimming MB states that before doing the requirements, complete the 2nd class and 1st class rank reqiremnets. If a boy when earning the swimming MB does these to the satifaction of his counselor, should the troop accept these as having completed the 2nd and 1st rank requirements, or should he do them again as this is for the rank and not the MB?

I believe the PLC determines who signs off advancements, and whoever is signing off the advancement should be satisfied the requirement was met. In our troop, also, completing the merit badge is accepted as meeting these requirements.

If the merit badge was done at camp, I would ask the scout to assure me that the requirements had indeed been completed.

Don

What am I missing here? The requirement three for the merit badge states:

3) Before doing the following requirements, successfully complete Second Class rank requirements 7a-7c and First Class rank requirements 9a-9c.

Second Class rank requirements:

(7a) Tell what precautions must be taken for a safe swim.

(7b) Demonstrate your ability to jump feet first into water over your head in depth, level off and swim 25 feet on the surface, stop, turn sharply, resume swimming, then return to your starting place.

(7c) Demonstrate water rescue methods by reaching your arm or leg, by reaching with a suitable object, and by throwing lines and objects. Explain why swimming rescues should not be attempted when a reaching or throwing rescue is possible, and explain why and how a rescue swimmer should avoid contact with the victim.

First Class rank requirements:

(9a) Tell what precautions should be taken for a safe trip afloat.

(9b) Before doing the following requirements, successfully complete the BSA swimmer test:

Jump feet first into water over your head in depth, swim 75 yards in a strong manner using one or more of the following strokes: sidestroke, breaststroke, trudgen, or crawl; then swim 25 yards using an easy, resting backstroke. The 100 yards must be swum continuously and include at least one sharp turn. After completing the swim, rest by floating.

(9c) With a helper and a practice victim, show a line rescue both as tender and as rescuer. The practice victim should be approximately 30 feet from shore in deep water.

So if the Swimming merit badge is to be earned, those requirements need to be met. Changing tense, if the Swimming MB has been earned, the requirements have been met.

Is your question who (MB counselor or Troop Leader) decides if the 2nd and 1st Class requirements have been met? The answer is that the troop makes that determination. They may make that determination by testing the Scout themselves or by going on the word of the MB counselor if he/she puts the Scout through their paces so to speak.

If a boy has earned Swimming merit badge, and the Second and First Class requirements are required for the merit badge, then the boy has completed his Second and First Class swimming requirements and should have them recorded as being completed.

Speaking as a swimming merit badge counselor I do this:

Since the requirements state "before doing the following requirements . . .", I ask to see the Scout's handbook. If the mentioned prerequisite requirements are signed off, I ask a few questions for my sake and we continue. As for the swimming skill part, I will be able to tell quite quickly if he can actually swim at the required prerequisite level and above.

If they are not, the Scout must cover/do the prerequisite requirements to my satisfaction before we continue. I do not jump straight to the MB requirements; I want to see that the Scout is sufficiently able to complete the basic prerequisite skills. This is a safety issue, as well as what's required. When he has completed the prerequisites I will provide him with a note to the Scoutmaster that the 2nd and 1st class requirements were completed to my satisfaction during the course of doing the MB, leaving the troop with the option of signing off in the handbook, or not. Most will sign off. Some will call to talk to me first. A few have not signed off and made the Scout do it for the troop - while I question this in my mind, I take no offense.

Personally, I much prefer that the prerequisites are completed before the Scout even calls me to do the Merit Badge and usually ask when they call about doing the MB if they have already completed the 2nd and 1st class items. It's much cleaner that way and saves some time.

The 2nd & 1st Class requirement can be done together. And if a Scout passes his swimmers test at summer camp, he has met requirement 7b for 2nd Class & 9b for 1st Class as well as the distance requirement for the Swimming MB.

If a Scout came to me without the rank pre-requisites not completed, I would do them 1st, supply a signed note for his SM once they were completed then proceed with the remainder of the badge.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10