When does advancement take place?

It is my understanding that advancement takes place officially after a boy has passed his scoutmaster conference and his board of review. Is this correct? One of our assistant scoutmasters suggested that actualy advancement only takes place after a court of honor. Which is right?

I agree with the aboves posters, the date an Eagle becomes an Eagle is the Board of Review date. He starts being eligible for palms from the date of the BOR, not the Court of Honor. If you couldnt received ranks/advance except at Courts of Honor, how would a scout ever receive second Class and First class at the same Court?(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

Ditto - at the time of the BOR.

We recognize the scouts 2-3 times for each rank advancement.

1) The night of the BOR, we recognize them. If I happen to have an extra patch in my box-o-goodies, I'll go ahead and present him with his rank patch.

2) The next week, the scout receives his rank patch (unless we did it the night of the BOR).

3) He then receives his card and parent's pin at the COH.

Kevin passed his BOR for Star on Monday before we went to summer camp on Sat. Our SM talked to him and explained that there would not be time to get his new rank badge before camp he was still officially a Star Scout. That is what mattered to Kevin. He also stated to the SM that once he passed his BOR that he could start counting time for Life. Kid knows where he wants to go and how to get there.

We recongize a scout three times on advancement. Announced to the troop on the night of BOR. THem at the next meeting he gets his new rank patch. The received his card at the next COH.

Ditto to the above comments. Date of rank is the date of BOR approval. Scouts should take their books with them to the BOR so the book can be signed off on the spot. This way the scout has a separate record in case something else gets messed up along the way...not that that has ever happened of course.

I thought that the Eagle advancment was not offical until national has approved it. Would the date be the date of the BOR or the date that national has approved the Eagle advancment?

You are correct that the Eagle rank is not official until approval is recieved by national. However, the date of rank advancment on all the papers (and the one that counts for getting eagle palms) is the date of the BOR