As we all know, orienteering skills need to be demonstrated for rank advancement and for the Orienteering merit badge. To improve their map and compass skills, some Scout units participate in orienteering contests. These contests are developed by individual Scout units, councils, and camps, and the U.S. Orienteering Federation (www.us.orienteering.org) runs a large number of events nationwide. At least one website focuses on Scout orienteering events (www.scoutorienteering.com).

Now to my question. We are preparing to host a council-wide orienteering competition, and we must choose between the maps and symbols traditionally used by Scouts (namely, 7.5' USGS topographic maps) and those used by competitive orienteers (orienteering maps based on the USGS topo sheets but at a finer scale with additional land features added). The maps are similar but the symbols are a bit different. Do you have any recommendations as to which is best? For that matter, do you have any other advice to give about Scout orienteering competitions?

Student

Being a traditionalist, brought up on USGS map symbols and legends, I am more familiar with those and more comfortable. When I looked in the Orienteering MB book at pages 36 -37 of the current edition, I found them to be different from the USGS symbols I was used to, but also more comprehensive. I think your choice might be guided by whether Scouts will be earning the Orienteering MB (I assume they will). In this case, I would use a format and map symbolism that lends itself to this end, which is the stuff in the MB book. It may require some customization of the symbols to the base map. I don't have advice per se to give on Scout Orienteering competitions -- the MB book gives some good tips on pages 62-63. If you want to use the personal message system available in this system, I will e-mail you a file that is intended for leaders who are teaching Orienteering techniques. It is background information, not overly technical.

Student,

Depending on the length of the course, you may be able to get away with a USGS map. However, if a course will be taking them over hill and dale, I suggest an actual orienteering map, of which the most useful feature will be identification of underbrush and/or impassable thickets. A USGS map will not give you enough terrain detail to properly plot a course from point to point.

(Pulling out large 5 inch paint brush labeled "Stereotyping")

I'm going to assume that since you're "Western US", you're in the mountains. Us lowlanders here on the East Coast are used to topo maps with a contour interval of 10 feet (sometimes only 5 along the coast). My maps of Colorado and Yosemite vary from intervals of 20 ft to 50 ft. An orienteering map will be able to show you details of hillside much better than a 7.5 USGS map will.

Here in the DC area, the Quantico Orient. Club has created maps for several local parks, including Prince William National Forest, where there's a permanent course set up with wooden poles scattered around the woods. You just choose a course and pick up a copy of the map at the rangers station, and off you go. The parks by you may have courses pre-established.

But the best advice is to get a local Orient. club involved. Most will be happy to help, and they are already experienced in teaching large groups of novices the basics of orienteering (I hesitate to use the phrase "map & compass" b/c there is a slight difference), which they do at just about every competition. Check the back of your local outdoor enthusiast magazine (usually found on the way in and out of your local camping store).

Enjoy, and don't get lost!

--Gags

The standard USGS quad sheets don't have enough detail for orienteering competitions. Orienteering maps use a topo map as a base, and details are added based on surveys in the field. I've done a few competitions, and without the details, you'd be wandering around in the bushes.