Eagle Project suggestions

I plan for my Eagle Scout Project to be planting trees throughout my neighborhood. I've already talked a bit about my project to the neighborhood committee and they have requested for me to name some trees I will be planting. I would like some help coming up with a variety of trees I can present to the committee. By the way, preferably trees that will be low maintanence (i.e. tree roots will not interfere with the underground plumbing) and trees that will survive in Texas weather. Thank You very much.

Texas is a mighty big state. What grows well in Texarkana will not do to good at all in El Paso and what flourishes in Corpus might not in Amarillo.

My suggestion would be to visit your local nursery for advice. And call up an arborist (look under tree trimming in the yellow pages) - they will certainly have some ideas for you. Good luck!

stam213, it really depends where you are in this big state as Trevorum pointed it out. Here in the Houston area, live oak, sweet gum, pecan trees are fairly common and easy to plant. Texas A&M (it pains me to acknowledge this ... hook'em ... ;) ) has a great horticulture program and their website has this great page:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/xeriscape/table5.html'>http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/xeriscape/table5.html .

(for some reasons the url is not diplayed correctly ... cut and paste the url)

Here is their main site: http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/

You should be able to get a lot of help from them if you contact them.

Good luck,

1Hour(This message has been edited by OneHour)

There is the question of what species of trees will survive and do well, and there is also the question of what species of trees are 'right' for the location. You might want to first consider the locations where you will be planting... THEN consider trees appropriate for the location. Consult with a horticulturist or an arborist or a forester specializing in urban forestry. You'll learn which species produce lots of undesireable litter to clean up in addition to just leaves. You should be conscious of which species have overly aggressive root systems which may try to tap into sewer lines (like willow). You'll learn which species might tend to be shallow rooted and would not be good choices where the roots might buckle a sidewalk. Best of luck with the project.

Don't forget - Location, Location, Location!

We have a program through our local utilities that help to identify proper trees to be planted near power and phone lines. You don't want to plant trees that may cause a problem later on or cause a disruption of service. If you are near overhead lines go for a tree that will stay smaller (In East Tn the Dogwood is a favorite).

Great project, good luck!

Kristi