Marksmanship Merit Badge...

Yes, I know it's the wrong title for the current badge, but I'm one of those old school geezers....but, since some of you will be working on your Rifle MB at summer camp, here's a trick to improve your score. Which is, get in shape, actually cardio vascular shape. With a low heart rate your score can go up simply by listing to your heart, and shooting between the beats...so, walk, run, jog, or cycle and get that ticker in shape....hey

My son took the rifle merit badge at summer camp. When I went to observe him, I was surprised to see the scouts sitting by tables with the guns sitting on wooden yokes! I remember having to do the prone and sitting positions, and no barrell assist! One thing that helped my son in his quest was laying off the caffinated drinks. Steadies the hand.

I just went and looked at the new requirements.... YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING!

have all the MB been watered down this much? If it is, it is no wonder registration is down. Kids WANT to be challenged. I never had much problem earning Rifle & Shotgun because long firearms came very natually to me, but I remember having to practise my rear off to get my Archery MB. I was very proud when I finally earned it too.

Looks to me like any Cub Scout with his BB pin could earn this MB.

Been the Rifle MB counselor for 2 years now. I've "qualified" the only two scouts in our troop that have sought the MB. Both shot their scores in the standing, prone, sitting, kneeling positions using BB guns. Both happen to be on a 4H competition team, that I am the coach. I made sure that they both knew that they were far exceeding the requirements of the MB, but they would feel better about their accomplishment. I told them that if they couldn't meet the "mark" we'd bench the rifle. Yeah right, didnt need too, they both kicked butt!!!