Are these Additional Requirements?

Regarding the Star and Life service project(s), our SM requires:

a) THREE projects

b) no one project will count for more than two hours

c) the projects must be for different types of beneficiaries - e.g. community, church, charity - but no two may be for the same type of beneficiary - e.g. community and public school are both considered to benefit the same community so only one will count.

I've looked at the Scout Handbook, the Boy Scout Requirements book, the Scoutmasters Handbook and the Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures, and do not find information to support any of these three requirements. The sources are inconsistent in whether they refer to "project" or "projects", but nowhere do they refer to three projects, to a maximum number of hours for each, or to a distribution of projects among different types of beneficiaries.

Thoughts?

You are correct; it is simply:

While a First Class Scout, take part in service projects totaling at least 6 hours of work. These projects must be approved by your Scoutmaster.

As I read it, there are two clear reqts: (1) a time reqt of a minimum of 6 hours, and (2) that they are approved by the SM prior to carrying out the projects. I look forward to how others reply, but it seems that the SM does have a say due to his approving projects ahead of time.

I would agree with bbng.

There is no number of projects listed or who they must be done for. If a Scout spends 6 hours working at the local blood bank & has the SM approval, then he has completed the requirement.

From your post, goodkidsmom, it sound like the SM is taking his "approval" a little too far.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Sometimes as a scoutmaster I had to turn down service hours for things such as working to benefit a private organization, but to get any more restrictive than that is carrying things a little too far in my opinion.

I agree that it does not specify that the project can not total 6 hours or that you have to have more than one project. But that the SM does have to approve it. I think what a SM is trying to do is have the boys try different things. On that side Kevin worked in the school library after school. He did his 6 hours and stayed on for the rest of the year. But he can't use working at the library for any other service hours. He needs to do something else.

Without more information, I'd be hesitant to criticize the SM. His interpretation of "obtain SM approval" may be more rigorous than most, but as long as his expectations are made known in advance, I can't see a problem. However, if the troop sees a problem, then it is an issue for the committee to discuss. They have the authority to direct him to change this troop policy.

Why the perceived requirement to get SM approval before hand? I advise the boys in our troop to get my approval on a service project beforehand so that they will know ahead of time if I will approve it and to avoid possible battles (mostly with parents) but it is not a firm requirement.

Regarding qualifying service projects, here is one our troop has struggled with for years.

Our internal discussions have centered around the concept of the term 'project'. A 'project' is of course referenced in the Boy Scout Handbook as part of the requirement. As I recall, the BSA Advancement Guidelines to do reference the term 'project' for ranks other than Eagle.

The issue that has caused discussion in our troop as to whether or not it should be allowed as a 'service'/'service project' is altar serving. We have probably 6-8 scouts that act as altar servers for our CO. In the past, several have requested this as their service project for Star/Life. The discussion has centered around whether an ongoing service 'commitment' that already exists qualifies as a 'project' that would seemingly have a start and a finish during the advancement time period.

What we have done is allow its use for one rank, but not for both (Star and Life), as sort of a compromise between our troop's hardliner's ('no way this is a project') and our troop's softies ('hey, its service - its groovy man'). As SM I have been caught in the middle of this for years and would appreciate the thoughts of the fine members of this forum.

(This message has been edited by SemperParatus)

Semper, why would the SM approve a service project where the scout cannot wear his uniform? Either field or activity? It seems to me that part of the purpose of these service projects is to put a public face on scouts and scouting.

CRG8,

IMO the uniform has no bearing here. While I would agree that it could be of some benefit that service projects were public displays of well uniformed scouts happily whistling while they work, many projects are dirty and messy outdoor work where I would never suggest the field uniform be worn. Likewise, some projects at Star/Life level may be private endeavors (e.g., writing letters to our servicemen) which really are never seen by the public at all, but of wonderful service nonetheless. I do not consider the wearing of the uniform to be necessary in the completion of the service project advancment requirement (and judging from the literal wording of the requirement, neither does the BSA). Maybe a Troop neckerchief over the robe would be a nice touch though :

Simple, Ed. He doesn't get credit for service. I think you and I agree that it is a great idea to get SM approval beforehand, but it should not be a required.

Altar service - I talked with my district advancement chair a few years ago and his reply was that he would not count as service any activity that the Scout performed as part of his "routine." Example, my son's serve as ushers at church on occasion. It is something that does provide service but just like walking the family dog, it is really a part of their life and I, their father and SM, did not count it as service hours. For those that do, no big deal in my book.

I'll admit that I haven't run across a request to use Altar Serving as service hours even though I know of several members of our troop who are active altar servers. On a somewhat related subject, in our church, youth preparing for Confirmation must perform a certain number of service hours - 1/3 for "family", 1/3 for "community" and 1/3 for the church. The rule of thumb for these service hours was that it be something above and beyond what you were already doing. While on the surface, I don't really have a problem with that, when my daughter was going through this process she was already an active member of the children's choir and was an altar server at the early mass on Sunday (so therefore tended to serve every 2 weeks or so due to its unpopularity) She was also involved in sports and otherwise very busy. It seemed to me that she was being penalized for her previous volunteer efforts in that now she had to find even MORE time in an already crowded schedule or back out of existing volunteer commitments in order to make time for "new" volunteer opportunities. Luckily, I was able to have an offline discussion with the director who agreed that she was already going "above and beyond" and therefore could use her current activities for credit.