Exciting Eagle Courts of Honor

Several years ago we had a quintuple ceremony. These five fellows had grown up together, through Cubs all the way to Eagle. All of them wanted to share their special day with their buds. It was way cool.

I've seen one to date, and it was many years ago, and it still gives me chills. Though I don't recall the details, I remember the looks on my parents faces, on our neighbors faces, on the leaders faces -- you'd have had a hard time picking out who the true parents were! When my brother earned Eagle, I was 19, and I had a date that night with a hunky guy who thought I was bonkers to want to see a Scout ceremony and interrupt our date to do it. When we left, it was with him thinking it was pretty cool that so many people were so proud of my brother. You know, I still remember the feeling of shared pride in what my brother did. That's what stuck. There were politicians, religious leaders, all the whos who of the area there--but it was the people who'd gone along the trail with him that were so delighted and that's what stuck with me.

Last Eagle COH went to was cool, one of our Crew , Toby, was recieving his Eagle. The family planned it at the Scout Cabin about 12 miles out of town. All the scouts love going there they have their own campsites a way from the cabin. The Crew helped serve hamburgers and hotdogs on the deck of the cabin. There was a table with all his scarves from Cub Scouts, pictures of all his scout activities from Tiger thru his Eagle Project, his mom put out his patch collection and all the projects that he had made while earning Merit Badges.She also had a scrapbook with letters from all the people who were important in his life congratulating him on his Eagle. Some of the letters were from people who where scouts with him,his friends that were away at college,plus letters from the boys that looked up to him in the Troop some were funny and some were tear jerkers.

After we ate, we all walked down to the Campfire bowl at dusk and all sat on the bleachers for the ceremony.There was everyone from Tiger Scouts up to past Scoutmasters, and all his friends and family.The ceremony was wonderful,the fire was lit in the background,all the people involved in the ceremony were special to Toby from the youngest scout, to the Eagle Scout who lit the candles.His Dad and the Scoutmaster read the charge.When it was the time for people to come up and tell about Toby. There was a lot of laughter (stories of his mis adventures)and a bunch of tears (he was leaving for the Air Force soon). Lots of pictures were taken and when it was all over his Mom pulled out the fixin's for S'mores. All the kids still talk about that ceremony.

Toby will be home from the Air Force in a few weeks and he is going to presented a scrap book of that day so he can take the memories and pictures with him to his new Duty Station.