Iam 16. is eagle possible

Hi amouse,

The thing that might be a challenge for you is that some ranks require a certain amount of time in rank before you can move on to the next rank. You should look at your Scout Handbook and do the math to see if you've got enough time to finish before your 18th birthday. And some ranks have some leadership requirements where you have to hold a leadership position for some length of time.

Talk with your Scoutmaster; he;ll be able to help you figure it out. If you really want to become Eagle and there is time permitting this, then go for it. But remember also that Scouting is about the journey even more than the destination. That just means that you can have plenty of fun in Scouts even if you can't make it to Eagle. There are plenty of Scouts, most, actually, that don't make Eagle, and still have fun careers as Scouts.

Good luck however it works out for you.

amouse, first of all, a great decision to join scout at 15. It proves that scouting can be started at any age! You have three things to use to get to eagle, 1) your handbook, it will tell you exactly what you need to get to eagle, 2) your troop, the adults and your fellow scouts will help you if you need it, and finally 3) your determination to get there. Remember that you have up to the time that you are 17 years old 23 hours 59 minutes and 59 seconds to complete all requirements. The Eagle Scout board of review can be held after the your 18th birthday.

But as Prairie_Scouter pointed, enjoy the experience, the knowledge, the friendship, and the sights along the way.

The very best of luck to you.

1Hour

ps: at the OA Ordeals this past weekend, I met a young man who is about 16. He is only a tenderfoot. It turns out that he just joined a troop not too long ago. He didn't really talk about wanting to be an eagle scout. He just wanted to be in scouting because he has always wanted and never had the time ... and now he has the time.

(The above information are only my own opinions. Please do not take them as guidances and/or teachings for I am not qualified to teach the exact the BSA's methodologies or guidelines, at least not on this forum!)(This message has been edited by OneHour)

amouse,

Congrats on deciding to get invovled. It's a hard, good decision that you have made. May I put a different spin on this for you?

Let's say you can't get Eagle, what happens now? Might I suggest to you that while your journey might end before other's, you can still decide how far you can get. Let's say that you find you don't have all the time you need. You can still make Life, or Star, or First Class or whatever. Why wouldn't having fun (one of the main purposes of Scouts) be any less important than what kinds of patches you can put on a particular pocket?

Scouts is about helping young men gain good knowledge, and helping them decide how to make good decisions. Sometimes folks get too worried about things that look good, but aren't as important as helping young men grow up. Judging by your question, I get the feeling you are well on your way. Good luck with your journey, and don't worry about that pocket, worry about finding the joy that is available through good scouting.

At a recent Eagle Board of Review while we were reviewing the candidate's letters, project book, etc our district advancement representative told us about a scout that joined at 16 and did indeed make eagle by his 18th birthday. The challenges of the time in position have already been mentioned by some here. Another thing to consider is some of the merit badges take time also so take a look at those too when making your plans. Personal Management, Personal Fitness, and Family Life are the first ones that come to mind that have specific timeframes built in.

If you are truly committed and your troop supports you then it can be done but you need to plan everything out NOW and make sure that you keep to the schedule.

OneHour wrote, "at the OA Ordeals this past weekend, I met a young man who is about 16. He is only a tenderfoot."

I find it interesting that a tenderfoot scout would be at an ordeal. I wonder why he was there...

Back to the topic. Amouse, enjoy scouting. Others have already given you lots of good advice here. Look at your book, talk to your scoutmaster and make a plan.

Good luck,

SWScouter

SWScouter ... I was wondering about that as well, but he was not the only tenderfoot there . I'm fairly sure that it was the case where they are at least 2nd class or better and just did not have the time to sew on their current rank. They have to have completed the required campouts and were elected by their peers to be there. I didn't need to question. A scout is trustworthy and if they are there and they are only tenderfeet then it is not their fault, it's their troop's error. That particular young man joined his troop middle of last year. So if I had to guess, he had to be at least 2nd class. By the way, we talked while waiting for the ordeal weekend to begin.

1Hour

(The above information are only my own opinions. Please do not take them as guidances and/or teachings for I am not qualified to teach the exact the BSA's methodologies or guidelines.)