To early eagle or not to early eagle

I'm just happy they get to Eagle. I just had the honor of presenting two boys to their respective Boards of Review: one who is in the 3-month-after-18th-birthday period and one who is 15. Both have worked hard and completed all of the requirements [their papers are now pending with National]. Last year I had a similar young man who was 13. I believe that the adult dilemma "to early Eagle or not to early Eagle" is best left to the New Scout...

I, too, was an early Eagle. I left my troop a year afterwards, without earning any palms. I joined a Varsity Team, then an Explorer Search & Rescue Post and served faithfully until I went to college. I'm grateful that my scoutmasters supported me and encouraged me to do what was right for me, not necessarily what would be best for them. Hopefully, I can be as confident and supportive of the young men entrusted to me.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In regards to "too early", it's the scout and the requirements met. Every scout is different and is motivated by different driving influences in his environment.

I want to address the comment of phoning to let the SM (or individual waiting for you) know that you are running late. If you haven't left yet, and know you'll be late, it's polite to call to let them know, especially if you're way behind schedule (more than 15 minutes, perhaps). However, if you are on the road, and soon realize that you will be late, if you stop at a phone booth (and if that phone is in working condition) you will add another 10 minutes to the trip. Now you are 20 or more minutes late, not 10 minutes. Not everyone has a cell phone. At first one would think, "ah it'll be just 2 extra minutes to make that call." However, varying traffic conditions affect the process of pulling into a location with a pay phone, and getting back on the road often takes longer than one expects it to.

Just an observation.