"Don't bring your handbooks" ???

We are just getting settled into our new troop after a recent move. On my son's 3rd campout I was very surprised when he informed me he was instructed NOT to bring his handbook to the event. I was sure that he must have misunderstood the instruction. After investigation, I have verified that this was the case. "To many boys have lost / destroyed their books."

The troop does a pretty good job of keeping advancement data archived with troopmaster, so I am still a little confused about this.

I have often wondered why we have the boys "handbook" reference guide combined with his primary advancement records. After just joining a new unit, my son's handbook was the most up-to-date method of transferring his advancement records. If he had lost his book, it would have been a big problem.

I have seen the little advancement record "cards" at the Scout Shop, but that seems to likely to get lost. Maybe keeping a separate book for camping trips is the answer.

CE

I think handbooks are probably one of the most misplaced items in scouting, so I somewhat see the point of not bringing them on most trips. There's also a pretty decent chance of the handbook getting wet or otherwise damaged at some point. I would hope that your son is able to get the appropriate person to sign off or document at the next troop meeting.

At my high school we were required to write our names (usually last) on the end of our textbooks with a black marker so that misplaced items could be returned more easily. Saves the finder having to leaf through the book trying to identify the owner. It's a tradition I've carried on with my scout books.(This message has been edited by Sir_Scoutalot)

At my son's first troop campout, he left his handbook out all night and it rained (of course!). The next morning, I found him in the latrine building, trying to dry it out under the hand blow-dryers (we were at a State park). He prevented it from mildewing but it puffed out like a big piece of popcorn! I had to buy him a second book, this time with a waterproof cover.

I'm going into my 6th year of Boy Scouts. I take my book EVERYWHERE. It says it right there in the first few pages that the book is supposed to be torn, etc. I'm now missing probably 10-15 pages off the front or back. That's the way it is supposed to look like.

Good Friday All

I'm with Fscouter. Just about everything a scout needs in the program is in that book. I know this is the wrong place to say it, but one big reason we like BDUs was so the scouts could put the books in their pockets. Qur scouts quickly learned that when they asked me a question about scouting, it was likekly they were going to be asked to look at their book first. They even made some skits about it.

I didn't realize how much our scouts took this to heart until we went on a 10 mile Philmont shakedown hike. Even though we had done backpacking equipment reviews, some of the scouts still brought their Scout Book.

Nobody knows better that a SM how often boys loose or leave their books in the weather. I am sure I have at least a dozen without names in one of my boxes of scouting stuff. But, if they don't learn the lesson of taking responsibility of their personal items now, then when?

As for loosing the advancement records, we teach our scouts to run the advancement records part of the book through a copier every now and then. I know Troopmaster is a good backup, but I just wanted the scouts to also learn how to back up their records.

I love this scouting stuff.

Barry

Well, I can see not taking your handbook once you've reached First Class although, as somebody else has already pointed out, there is a wealth of information in that book. But we do so much advancement with the pre-First Class scouts on campouts that I guarantee some requirement completion would go unrecorded if they didn't have their books with them. Not to mention the intro to responsibility involved in keeping track of the darn thing. I also tend to think that, while Troopmaster is great, the scout's book, signed off as required, is the primary record. That book is what the scout needs to bring to his Scoutmaster conference and BOR, not a printout from the advancement chair. It's all about individual responsibility.

Vicki

In our Troop, we request the Scouts bring their handbooks to each & every camping trip. We always refer to them & there are times when a Scout will ask a question & we ask them "Did you look in your handbook?"

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

>although, as somebody else has already pointed out, there is a wealth of information in that book.>

Barry, this is the rest of the sentence that started with the First Class comment. As you said, from a teacher's point of view, that book is invaluable. The first time my oldest's got rain-soaked, we dried it out and I bought a cover for it.

Basically, I was trying to give the folks who tell the scouts they don't have to bring the book the benefit of the doubt. I always have my copy with me and encourage my son to have his with him.

Vicki

All scouts who are not yet first class are told to bring there books to all campouts and meetings. Campouts so that they can get stuff signed off. Meetings so that the advancment chair can record what they got signed off (be suprised how many scouts don't realize what to do once all they have left is SM Conference/BOR).

As a 5th year scout, I sometime stake it with me, sometimes don't (more of if I think of it, than a real decision). I will usually bring a MB Book or two (first aid almost all the time, orienteering if we plan on doing orienteering, pioneering if we plan on building a tower ect.) I can usually borrow a scout book from a younger scout if I need one.

I still use the handbook as a packing list to pack my backpack.