New MB you would like to see

I would like to see the BSA keep up with the times and add new MB's.

I would like to see the following MB's added

Skateboarding

Kayaking

Chess or Gaming (Board Games or games like Magic)

Surfing

Any other ideas?

CNYScouter

I know that my son would like to see a video games merit badge. I think the problem would be finding a merit badge counselor who knew enough about it to be an effective counselor!

Personally, I would like to see a housekeeping merit badge that had requirements like this:

Show how to properly load a dishwasher

rinse dishes before putting them in the dishwasher make sure that there is enough room between the dishes for water to flow through. Show how to properly load the washing machine separate the white clothes from the colored clothes (especially reds) select the correct load size for the amount of clothing you are washing - do not pack the clothes in tightly, even if you do select "extra large cycle" ensure that you put the load into the dryer before they start to mildew.

Demonstrate how to properly mop up a spill on the kitchen floor.Show how to clean the microwave after you made bacon in it without covering it with a paper towelShow how to put clean linens on your bed. Follow up with making your bed daily for a period of one week. With your parent or counselor, change the vacuum bag in your vacuum cleaner when the old bag gets full. A good indication that the bag is full is when the vacuum no longer picks up pieces of paper from the floor, and no matter how many times you run over that piece of paper, the vacuum still does not pick it up.For a period of one week, make sure that all of your dirty clothes are placed into a laundry basket or other receptacle, and not under your bed.

I'm sure that others can come up with more possible requirements for this one. Oh, and I would like to see this one "Eagle Required", if that isn't too much to ask! And PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE pass this one quickly, before my son becomes an Eagle!

I agree with Semper

- Respects/Etiquette/Honors (Eagle Required)

Careers:

- Networking (teaching the boys about Internet, LAN, WAN, ...)

- Webmastering

- Firefighting

- Telecommunications

- Break out the Medicine piece into specialties

- Texas Hold 'Em ;)

Hobbies/Sports:

- Violin or Piano

- Any of the sports (since we have golf, why not tennis and the likes?)

- Cards collecting (baseball cards, Pokemon cards, etc.)

- Stereo and HiFi

- Hermit Crab Care (for my second son)

- Advanced swimming (which includes BSA lifeguarding)

For sports, I would group them together.

Racquet sports - Tennis, Racquetball, Badminton, etc.

Football sports - Soccer, American FB, Rugby, Australian, Canadian, etc.

Track & Field - wide variety available here

Club sports - Golf, Baseball, Cricket, etc.

Throwing sports - Ultimate, Darts, Horseshoes, etc.

In some cases Scouts could compare and contrast the sports, show skills in more than one of the sports, etc.

Gosh looking at many of these great Ideas I know someone in Irving Texas just has to (also) be thinking about new Merit Badges Classes;

Insurance Underwriting,

Claims adjusting,

shark fishing, (using surfers?)

advanced swimming and surfing with ocean fencing/shark net technology-techniques. Practical Dental First Aid and field surgery...

Orthopedic care and

Prosthesis Device Design....

gosh I am all a twitter the list is endless!

This thread can go to serious suggestions, or jokey ones. Or both!

Serious: Many of the suggestions above really would be better addressed by modifying current MBs. Indeed, many of them really are included in current MBs. I do think it's too bad that you can only earn one Sports MB, except for a few odd additional Sports. Maybe that part of the program could be consolidated, along the lines Torveaux suggests, and allow, say, up to four Sports MBs based on different sports.

I'd be against a video game MB that focused on playing games--but how about a Video Game Design MB? In general, there probably should be more technology MBs. One other suggestion--Psychology (or maybe call it Human Behavior).

Jokey: Personal Grooming.

Politics and Government. Some of the requirements can be. Explain how parties choose candiates in your state, how third parties candiates can get on the ballot. Write a brief history of either major party. Bring in X numbers of political ads explain what you like and don't like about each. Define some terms like primary caucus. Do one of the following run for election at your school, volutuneer for a candiate of your choice or interview an elected offical about his career.

Do you think I could be an MBC for the Video Game Design MB?

I spent two years as a game designer for a major game company. I've been playing computer games since, well, basically when computers came into homes. LOL.

Maybe I could be on the staff that writes the requirements.

(This is actually a very good idea, many more universities are adding Game Design to their programs. It is not as easy as kids like to think.)

I'd definitely say we implement martial arts in general, and that a scout can choose any martial art to cover. Specifically, they should have to go over forms, history, application, and ideals of the specific martil art. Even things like boxing and folkstyle wrestling are martial arts. And perhaps just a personal paper on why you enjoy that particular martial art.

And I could definitely see a video game merit badge as a possibility. You'd pick a system and game title, cover the history of them both and how to use them, what the different types of video game genres are, why video games exist in the world today, and again, a personal paper on why you enjoy that particular video game.

I easily could see myself as the MBC for both of these badges.

I dont like the idea of the Video Games merit badges.

I do, however, like the networking, webmastering, etc

I remember one specific person wanting to see a sewing merit badge. I cant say I'd be against it.

A more Advanced First Aid merit badge would be useful.

More ideas may come later

How about Paleontology? Some of the requirements could be:

1. Earn the Geology or Archeology Merit Badge

2. Give a brief history of the science of Paleontology.

3. Collect 20 different fossils and display them for exhibit.

Properly Identified and Labeled.

4. Discuss the following terms; Paleontologist, Fossil Record,

Dinosaur, etc...

5. Do one of the following:

A. Visit a dig site. Interview the site supervisor. Prepare

a written report and present it to your troop or patrol.

B. Visit a Natural History Museum in your. Prepare a written

report on the fossils on exhibit. Include geological age of

fossils, where they were found, and what type of animal or plant

life was exhibited.

6. Prepare a Geological Time Line showing each geological age.

Present this to your troop or patrol.

7. Discuss with your counselor how fossils are dated.

8. Research five career opportunities in the field of

Paleontology. Write a report on one that interests you, include

education required.

An alternate requirement could be to carbon date your Scoutleader.

Bryan