2nd class cook over fire scout builds?

The 2nd class cooking requirement, 2g, states:

On one campout, plan and cook over an open fire one hot breakfast or lunch for yourself...

Our troop has always interpreted this as a continuation of 2c, 2d, 2e and 2f. That is, the scout builds a cooking fire and then cooks over it. This seems important as it shows the scout how much wood is needed to cook, how to wait for coals, etc.

But looking at this again, I think the requirement could be met by cooking over a fire built by the patrol or troop. I don't want to create new requirements.

How do other troops handle this?

DonM

As the cooking leader for our troop, I try to have two Scouts work together on this requirement. One builds the fire and the other cooks, then they trade for the next meal.

That way, I can teach about menu planning once, and they can help each other plan what to bring.

Builds teamwork, and they appreciate having someone to help with the requirement.

Book does not specify that boy has to build and under a general patrol format a different boy or group of boys would do the fire as part of sharing duties on the campouts...though I wouldn't loose a bit of sleep over it one way or the other...

question for busylady; why aren't your older scouts teaching lower level scout requirements???They should be able to handle it...Remember- if the boys can do it...the adults DON'T ...thats part of being boy led.

The intent is for him to acquire the knowledge and experience necessary to be able to function independently (skills) and to be able to instruct others (leadership). The requirement is there as a standard to demonstrate that level of skill on his way, ultimately, to First Class. He can meet that requirement in a number of ways but in the end he must have that ability and skill to advance.

In this troop the boys can do this individually (perhaps on a backpack trip) or as a patrol - with the boy taking responsibility for one cooked meal for the patrol (I enjoy watching the second approach...and the anxiety that builds in the patrol as their meal gets closer - or farther - from success). ;)

This past camp out 3 of our 4 new scouts attended. They are in my son's patrol for now and he taught them about fire safety including how to light the camp stoves and how to start a fire with flint and steel and a magnifing glass. He is almost to Star and like anarchist the older boys should be giving back to the younger ones and teaching.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Anarchist:

I would GLADLY relinquish that responsibility if we could only get our older scouts to come to campouts and teach!

Our troop has been through some rough water of late. Hopefully as things cool down, we can apply a little judicious pressure to get 'em to step up to the task . . .

Meantime, rather than nag and hassle, I'll keep teaching the younger ones, and watch 'em turn older Scouts' faces red when they know more than their supposed "teachers". It's already happening, and the younger ones are turning the tables on the more "experienced" Scouts. At times, a little embarassment and peer pressure is good for encouraging more effort, without adult "noise" ;)

YIS - Busylady