Old Fart Returning To The Fold

I recently retired, and am returning to scouting after a 30+year hiatus, working with a brand new troop composed primarily of recent crossovers. It appears as though I will be assuming the position of Committee Chairman, with the responsibility of actually building the Committee, doubling as a Troop Leader when necessary to comply with the two-up rule, and being an advocate for their induction into the OA when the time comes.

Currently, I am waiting for my application to be processed, and using the time to take all the online training I can get. I discovered this site several nights ago, and have spent at least four or five hours daily on here. I am trying to scrounge up a local Red Cross First Aid course in order to become current, but that program's structure seems to have undergone a substantial change.

At the moment, I feel as though I've fallen through a warp into an alternate universe. So many things have changed about the program in the last third of a century, yet some have remained constant. For instance, uniform pants are still an item of controversy.

Hello Kit,

Welcome back to Scouting!

We have a good deal in common. Thirty years ago I was the youngest Scoutmaster in the district, and before the first of this year I was the oldest Cubmaster in the district, working to revive a Cub Pack down to one boy when I took a unit position 3 1/2 years ago.

I retired five years ago and have made Scouting my main retirement activity.

I hope you have a Scoutmaster capable of putting together a good program for your new unit.

What kind of outings do you have planned, and is there a Camporee coming up before long you can take part in? Camporee can help define the goals of you outdoor program.

Also, if you don't aren't well acquainted with parents, I'd ask them to fill out the BSA parent survey. Getting a detailed understanding of what parents bring to Scouting can be a big help to a Committee Chair who needs to find good people to take responsibility for various tasks that need to be done.

Good luck!

"Also, if you don't aren't well acquainted with parents, I'd ask them to fill out the BSA parent survey. Getting a detailed understanding of what parents bring to Scouting can be a big help to a Committee Chair who needs to find good people to take responsibility for various tasks that need to be done."

That will be the first thing that I do, once I am officially part of the troop, hopefully next week.

With only five boys at present, one the SM's child, we have a small pool of parents to draw from. I want to get as many on the Committee as possible, but will be very unlikely to get eight. I'll try recruiting outside as well, but this is an extremely rural area, filled with people of a solitary bent.

I will probably try to recruit for the secretarial, advancement, and financial positions first, although they may be the most difficult ones to fill with people who are both willing and qualified. This will take as much load as possible off both the SM and myself. I worry about the SM, because he is also involved with two Cub Scout Packs in a leadership role. He has little time for himself due to the "two-up" system. If I have enough free time I can take some of that off his back, thus reducing the chances of burnout.

We'll just have to take it one day at a time, and see what develops.

WELCOME BACK!

Yeah, I bet things have changed since you were active, but look at it this way:

Cars and trucks have changed also in the past 30 years, but the main design and function is the same...just the details are different.

6 speed automatic trannies instead of 4 speed manuals . Used to be you could count every vacuum line and wire on botrh hands. Now you almost have to go to the apple store to get your engine diagnosed! :)

It will be hard work, but my experience with Cubs is this: You work with what you got, make it great for the boys, and that will bring more boys who will bring more parents. More parents means that at least 1 or 2 will step up to help out.

Do a few community projects that really benefit the community, and it's better than having a tv commercial for your unit. A few community members will step up here and there for at least a few things if not full time.

"WELCOME BACK!

Yeah, I bet things have changed since you were active,"

Yes, quite a few things have changed, but some things remain constant. People are still feuding over scout pants; too many twits take advanced training, get their tickets punched, and keep right on running the troop as though they are the SPL; and the program in general is continuing its slow slide towards being a glorified baby sitting service.

"Do a few community projects that really benefit the community, and it's better than having a tv commercial for your unit. A few community members will step up here and there for at least a few things if not full time."

The SM already has a continuing community project running, is working hard to establish a quality program, and he and I appear to be on the same page insofar as methods. However, there currently is no troop committee to help out, and he has several other commitments as well. I see my first task as getting him some logistical support before he burns himself out.