Nuclear Science Merit Badge

Two questions,

First is for Skipper1701 or for anyone else who can answer. I was wondering from what source did you get the clarification that a scout who earned Atomic Energy cannot earn Nuclear Science.

I am responsible for teaching it this summer and would like to see it for myself.

Second, how does it work if a scout has a partial for Atomic Energy. Can he finish that merit badge, or do I credit him for the requirments of Nuclear Science that remained the same that he finished.

Thanks for the help!

First Question - I received the information directly from the National Office. They said the clue for future changes is to look at the merit badge number. If you look and merit badges that change they add a letter to the merit badge number. Ex: 1234A If the merit badge has the same number with a letter added, it is the same badge and cannot be earned twice (even if the name of the badge changes).

Second Question - I believe that this would be the scouts option. The scout has the option to complete the partial until his 18th brithday. He also has the option to do all of the new requirements. If he chooses the new requirements, I would want him to do all of the requirements for me if I am going to be the one signing off on the badge.