3 Eagle BOR Questions

I am helping some boys prep for their Life and Eagle BOR's. I am giving them sample questions similar to what I was asked at my Eagle BOR. There are 3 questions that I did not think were really appropriate to the Spirit of Scouting that I was asked at my Eagle BOR.

1. If we were to not award you Eagle, what would you think of the past 7 yrs you have spend in scouts?

2. What do you think of/how do you interperate(tion)of the Bible.

3. This was asked at every BOr of mine since 1st Class. What does Morally Straight mean and how do you stay morally straight?

Please give me some insight on what you all think of these questions.

I think #1 & #3 are perfectly valid. I think I've heard both asked in BORs. #2 has some problems in that it is exclusionary to Christianity. Even if you know a person is a Christian, I'm not sure the purpose or value of the question.

Semper - I've heard #1 asked toward the end of the BOR. It was asked in a very positive tone. There is no right answer. But, it's interesting to hear the responses. The best answer, imho, is that he'll be disappointed, but he'll find out what he needs to work on, go back and correct it, and come back again.

Ok my 2 cents.

Q 1. Sounds a little rude the way it's worded. I would re-word it to something like, "What do you think you have learned from scouting, that does not involve advancement? or "over and above earning Eagle Scout?" I regard the line of inquiry legit.

Q 2. Have to agree, it does not seem appropriate as worded. There are other questions that could lead into a discussion of how the scout is reverent.

Q 3. Legitimate question.

SA

#'s 1 & 3 are good questions. #2 really has no place at a BOR. A better question might be

"How have you demonstrated the last point of the Scout Law in your everyday life?"

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

ehcalum, I'm curious. Why did you think #3 was not appropriate?

I ask this at every SM conference for Star, Life and Eagle (along with "What does mentally awake mean?, and "What does Physically strong mean?

There are no right or wrong answers, but it gets the scouts to think.

1st. Thanks for all of your input.

Trev. I thought #3 as inappropriate because I was in a Troop the had several members on the Committee who did not like me, and let it be known. I could have transferred out, but I was always told to never quit at something, so I stayed with the Troop. Anyways, these members wanted to try to peg me as being bi or gay, neither of which I am. I always answered the question with: It means not to steal, to respect others beliefs, to be tolerant, and to follow your heart. Call it a personal matter they had, but i just think their reason for asking was not appropriate for a BOR.