Official Uniform at BOR

Our troop and district has stated a scout must appear in full "official" uniform to participate in a BOR. Is this an official BSA policy or is it acceptable for the scouts/adults to wear more comfortable BDUs or other clothing that matches the "official" uniform colors?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While the uniform is one of the 8 methods of scouting, I would ask the District person resonsible for this edict to show you a reference in BSA literature that an uniform is required. And when that is done, please come back and share with us as none on this forum can find it.

Nonetheless, I believe this is a very common policy, albeit local.

OGE, to what extent, if any, may districts and councils set their own policies with regards to these types of BoR issues (must have blue cards, may not have more than N badges by same counselor, etc?). Where is the point where local history and tradition conflicts with national advancement policy?

I expect a boy to be properly dressed for a BOR. In my mind, that means the appropriate, complete field uniform. Now, I've had lads show up without a neckerchief, or with white socks, or without a belt, etc. I've gone ahead and sent them to the BOR. Usually, the BOR will ask why they aren't in complete uniform. That usually solves the problem for any future ones.

I've only not sent a boy in for his BOR once. He came to the meeting in regular street clothes. I think he had some excuse about running out of time to get dressed. He was supposed to go for his Tenderfoot BOR. I told him he'd have to do it next time, when he was in uniform. To me, it's no different than going for a job interview. We are expected to dress appropriately for the situation. It teaches responsibility and respect for the occasion. It's not punishment, it's just an expectation.

Except for Eagle BORs, the District has no jurisdiction over a unit's BOR policies. A unit should be able to conduct its BORs in whatever manner it deems appropriate, within the guidelines set by BSA national. As OGE states, the BSA has no requirement that the full and complete uniform must be worn to a BOR. On the otherhand, BSA has no rule that says a unit cannot adopt such a policy either.

The expectation (not rule) for scouts in our unit is that the full and complete uniform should (not must) be worn for First Class BORs and above, with the understanding that by that time the scout and his family has made a commitment to scouting and so should make the investment in an official/complete uniform. Scouts may access our uniform exchange closet at any time to complete their uniforming free of charge. Consequently, scouts that do show up for BORs that are not in uniform are doing so as a matter of choice, rather than due to financial constraints. In such a case, the BOR chairman will likely include some questions during the review about 'pride in the uniform' to understand the scout's decision on this matter.

"... or is it acceptable for the scouts/adults to wear more comfortable BDUs or other clothing that matches the "official" uniform colors?".

Street clothes that are the same color as the real thing does not a uniform make. I tell the boys in our troop that they're not fooling anyone by wearing green pants or a tan shirt. They may as well wear pink pajamas. And why would anyone wear pink pajamas to an event that calls for the Scout uniform?

OGE,

Where does the BSA say anything about what the requirements are to pass a BOR?

You say a unit cannot add to or subtract from the requirements, yet in the case of the BOR I do not think the BSA has ever stated specific requirements for passing, rather leaving it as a subjective determination of the board. Now, one can interpret this (i) that the BOR requirements are up to the Board (or the Unit) and they are within their authority to expect full uniforming, or (2) that because no specific requirements are listed and you cannot add any then there must be no requirements for passing. Which is it?

Semper, I would have your Troop Advancement Chair get a copy of the BSA Publication "Advancement Committee, Policies and Procedures, #33088D. On page 28 under the heading Boards of Review it says the following:

"A periodic review of the progress of a Scout is vital in the evaluation of the effectiveness of the Scouting program in the unit. The unit committee can judge how well the Scout being reviewed is benefiting from the program. The unit leader can measure the effectiveness of their leadership. The Scout can sense that he is, or is not, advancing properly and can be encouraged to make the most of his Scouting experience.

Not only is it important to review those Scouts who have learned and been tested for a rank, but also to review those Scouts who have shown no progress in their advancement over the past few months.

The members of the board of review should have the following objectives in mind when they conduct the review:

To make sure the Scout has done what he was supposed to do for the rank.

To see how good an experience the Scout is having in the unit.

To encourage the Scout to progress further.

The review is not an examination; the board does not retest the candidate. Rather, the board should attempt to determine the Scouts attitude and his acceptance to Scoutings ideals. The board should make sure that the good standards have been met in all phases of the Scouts life. A discussion of the Scout Oath and Scout Law is in keeping with the purpose of the review, to make sure that the candidate recognizes and understands the value of Scouting in his home, unit, school and community.

Please note that nowhere does it say that a uniform is required.

OGE,

And it doesn't say that the scout shouldn't wear his underwear on his head either. But that does not mean the Board/Unit can't make a rule that a scout should not wear underwear on his head during a BOR.

In your earlier post you referenced 'requirements to pass the BOR' that cannot be added to. The BSA guidelines you posted offer no such 'requirements', just references to judgements, measurement, and sensing, and that the Board should have certain 'objectives in mind'. A unit expecting a scout to wear a uniform to a BOR is not out of bounds. No requirements are being added to, because no requirements exist from the BSA - merely suggestions on the BOR process.

I have often said that I am glad that I don't have to be responsible for BORs. I think they are one of the vaguest of scouting's vague processes. The document says "the board should attempt to determine the Scouts attitude and his acceptance to Scoutings ideals." The question that I believe Semper, I and others have asked is "if a scout refuses to wear a uniform, how does that reflect on his attitude and acceptance of scouting's ideals?".

Now, I'm not talking about situations where a scout can't afford a uniform. I've always distinguished that as something seperate. I'm talking about where a scout simply refuses to wear the uniform.

I am 101% with the wise OGE on this one.

Over the years I have heard of all sorts of add ons to the BOR. Membership Cards, Clean handkerchiefs, hair neat and the list goes on.

Sorry guys them requirements just are not there, you no matter what position you hold can't add to the requirements.

Sure a Scout wearing his uniform to a BOR is showing the board, that he accepts the outward sign of the ideals of Scouting. Maybe he will score a few brownie points with the board.

When I'm asked to chair an Eagle Scout BOR, I ask the Scouts to wear their uniform if they have one. Most arrive in a uniform, some don't. Those that don't are not in any way put down or looked down on. In fact no mention is made of it because it is not a requirement.

Eamonn.

E,

Why do you even bother to ask the scout to wear the uniform if it doesn't matter?

And is it wrong to have the scout recite the Scout Oath and Law at the BOR - don't see where that is a requirement listed in OGE's post from the Advancement Guidelines - all I see is that they are to be discussed - I certainly wouldn't want our Boards overstepping their authority?(This message has been edited by SemperParatus)