Official Uniform at BOR

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Scout should be neat in his appearance and should be in a coat and tie or his uniform, which should be as correct as possible, with the badges worn properly" - I interpret that as a requirement. Careful there Acco, I'm sure someone will write a post letting you know the difference between should and shall.

I've been curious about the statement that the BSA doesn't require a boy to have a uniform. Is that actually written anywhere in some official BSA document? Or, is it simply that the BSA doesn't officially state anywhere that a boy MUST have a uniform, therefore we can infer that to mean it isn't necessary to have one.

As far as I can tell, the only requirements for a boy to be a Scout are meeting the joining requirements, filling out an application, and paying the registration fee.

As Acco posts, it isn't necessary for a boy to know how to swim or tie knots to be a Boy Scout. But, those things are required for advancement and advancement is one of the methods. So is uniforming. Since we expect our Scouts to know the particular skills required for rank advancement, I see nothing different in expecting our Scouts to wear the uniform.

"I've been curious about the statement that the BSA doesn't require a boy to have a uniform. Is that actually written anywhere in some official BSA document?"

It's in the most important official document: The Boy Scout Handbook, right at the beginning where it tells the boy all about joining a patrol, what Scouting promises him, etc. etc.

We need to be careful of what we ask for.

Remember, we in the field wanted a metric for "Active." National Advancement Committee gave us that metric in ACP&P #33088 and Requirements #33215. We don't like it very much, do we?

If we ask the National Advancement Committee for a metric on uniform, they'll give us one. They can bloody well make possession of the full Scout uniform a condition of membership and advancement, as a stated requirement.

That may cost us some youth. There are youth on the Scouting margin, where the lawnmowing money is part of the family budget.

Be careful of what you ask for... you may well get it.

"Now this is just wrong! If this was the only thing holding the Scout back from having his BOR, there is a big problem in the unit!"

So your solution would be to hold the BOR even though you know that the Scout is perfectly capable of wearing a complete and proper uniform? That really sends good message, doesn't it?

"I wonder if he even initated the SM Conference. In our troop the scout has to ask for both the SMC and BOR. "

At that time we has SMCs and BORs on the same night. You came in, talked to the SM and then he'd walk you down the hall and introduce you to the Board.

So your solution would be to hold the BOR even though you know that the Scout is perfectly capable of wearing a complete and proper uniform? That really sends good message, doesn't it?

If this is the only thing holding the Scout back, yes. Have the BOR talk to the Scout about wearing his uniform & the Scoutmaster should do the same. Holding a boy back from advancing ONLY for not wearing his uniform to a BOR is wrong.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

Ed, Scouting isn't about advancement nor is it about earning badges, it is about learning important skills for life. We weren't holding the Scout back, he was holding himself back. He had his uniform, he had all of the patches, he had someone who was willing to sew them onto his uniform for him. It was his job to get the three together.

We had an interesting experience at camp this past week in regards to the uniform. The camp decided to have closing flags one day with no one in uniform. Two boys who did have uniform shirts on took them off to be part of the color guard. My boys (in full uniform) noticed this and commented they didn't really appreciate the gesture.

Stosh

"The camp decided to have closing flags one day with no one in uniform. Two boys who did have uniform shirts on took them off to be part of the color guard."

That perpetuates the myth that "uniform" is used as an adjective meaning "all dressed the same", rather than "uniform" the noun meaning a distinctive set of clothes worn to identify one's occupation or affiliation. In the case you describe, the color guard was uniformly out of uniform.

I have to retract what I said before and restate. The Boy Scout Handbook tells the boy what the uniform consists of, why he should wear it, and when (board of review by the way is not specifically mentioned). It does not indicate the uniform is not required.

It is the Scoutmaster Handbook that talks about this: when to wear it, not wear it, how to help boys get one, and setting the example. A boy is not required to have a uniform in order to be a Boy Scout. However, troop leaders should set a good example by wearing the uniform themselves and by encouraging each Scout to acquire and wear a uniform.

The Scoutmaster Specific Training segment on the uniform covers the topic as well. Boards of review is one of the occasions mentioned when the uniform should be worn, and it is made clear that applies to both Scouts and Scout leaders. It also says Ultimately, the boy inside the uniform, rather than the uniform itself, is what is important.

I would have to say then that if the board wants to insist on a Scout wearing the uniform at a BOR, the board must also wear the uniform.