Official Uniform at BOR

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all know (or should know) the 8 methods, one of which is the uniform.

To clarify an earlier post, on the rare occasion when the BOR had a Scout show up for a scheduled BOR right before a troop meeting out of uniform, the Scout did not "fail" or "not pass" his BOR, he didn't have one. There is a difference.

FScouter, if a Scout shows up for a meeting dishelveled, shirt tail out, no neckerchief or hat (when the troop has those items as part of their uniform), cut-off denim shorts - does that mean the troop is not using the uniform method? What constitutes that a troop is utilizing the uniform method?

Barry, a BOR gains the fact that a Scout has respect and cares about the wishes of the BOR when he wears his uniform (if requested) and shows disrespect and a cavalier attitude if he does not (or memory loss, or poverty, or .. - the BOR can usually figure out which).

If I was going for a job interview and the company requested that I wear a pink carnation on my lapel, I would respect their wishes. I've tried to teach my boys (with very little success) that when they wear their pants way low with 50% of their boxer shorts hanging out - scout uniform or not - that many adults find that behavior disrespectful. This is regardless of their intent. It is their option to adjust their behavior or not according the situation. Their actions, I believe, say something - albeit not everything, about their character. (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

Funny you should mention the boxer shorts. I saw a kid this week with about 6-8 of the top of his boxers exposed. Below that was another pair of boxers, contrasting color, with the top 6-8 exposed. Below that, was his pants. I kid you not, they were riding at about mid-thigh. He had to take short steps, and of course they were all bunched up around his ankles. I dont know how they stayed up, no doubt some kind of inner garter straps.

If a kids show up for a troop meeting, disheveled, shirt hanging out, missing parts etc. that shows that the troop either does not care about the uniform method, or has not been fully successful implementing it. Troops that are good at it have Scouts that wear complete uniforms at the appropriate times and take pride in it, their fellow Scouts, and their troop. Writing a rule, or failing boys at a board of review my result in the uniform being worn, but it doesnt follow that the troop is successful at the uniform method.

>>Barry, a BOR gains the fact that a Scout has respect and cares about the wishes of the BOR when he wears his uniform (if requested) and shows disrespect and a cavalier attitude if he does not (or memory loss, or poverty, or .. - the BOR can usually figure out which).

I care about the uniform method but alas, not all of the adult leadership in our troop does IMO.

What I would like to see (and my second son is the type to do this) is for him to go into a BOR not in uniform and when questioned on that fact simply ask the committee memebers who are sitting on his board why they are not in uniform.

Unfortunately, I've failed miserably in trying to get the committee members to wear a uniform. They think that is utterly ridiculous. The only members that do are the committee chair (an Eagle Scout) and the advancement chair (my wife).(This message has been edited by acco40)

"What are you implying that it implies?"

I'm only implying that you seem to have trouble with the nuances of the English language.

According to my Funk & Wagnalls "should" is the past tense of "shall" and acccording to my attorney is simply a variation of "shall." According to F&W, "should" expresses a duty or obligation. If it is a duty or obligation, one must do it or suffer the consequences.

If you read the requirements, no one is obligated to wear a uniform to a BOR, they may chose to wear a jacket and tie instead. If they chose to eschew the uniform and the jacket with tie, there may be consequences.

So much talk about a single problem. No, there is no national requirement for wearing a uniform. But, why would a boy want to be in scouts and not wear one? Going for a board of review is like going for a job interview. You wouldn't go to a job interview without looking your best, even though it's not required. Why would you go to a scout BOR without your uniform on, even though it's not required?

A sure sign of maturity is when people do what is right. even though there is no "requirement" to do so.

I note with amusement that the Sea Scout Apprentice requirement for uniforming - "Describe the Sea Scout uniform and obtain one. Tell how and when the uniform is worn and how to care for it." - makes no mention of actually wearing the uniform. So much for life being easy.

Something I've noticed when it comes to BOR's and "rules for uniforming, testing, etc." that some Troops like to put together. In my experience (and this is purely anectdotal so don't quote as if this is set in stone somewhere), Scout Leaders who insist on these rules were either never Scouts, or never advanced far in Scouts, while Scout Leaders who look upon such rules with suspicion and dismay tend to have been Scouts, and in many cases - Eagle Scouts - or at least Star or Life (not to suggest Star or Life is lesser). Again, just in my experience, Scouters who were Star, Life or Eagle seem more apt to view Scoutmaster Conferences and BOR's as touchpoints and opportunities to help lads grow, and help unit programs, while Scouters who were not Scouts, or did not advance far in rank are more apt to view Scoutmaster Conferences and BOR's as a gatekeeper function - designed as a barrier to advancement. Obviously this is a generalization and there are excepetions on both sides of the coin, but nevertheless, this has been my experience.

The BSA is pretty clear in their literature that while the BSA uses Uniforms as a method, Uniforms are not required in order to be a Boy Scout. If the BSA say's uniforms aren't required, how could they possibly make a rule that says a Scout must be in uniform in order to go to, let alone pass, a BOR? They can't do so, so they don't. It's rather a stretch then for a unit to conclude that there must be some kind of policy requiring uniforms for a BOR - and if not, they can make one up.

I often hear that the reason Scout's need to wear uniforms is so that people will know they are Scouts. Yet very recently, in this forum, someone posted a thread about their son's experience at a state park where he was called out of the audience at a sing along with words something along the lines of "Hey you, the Eagle Scout, I'll bet you know a song you can teach us" and how the lad was incredulous that the ranger knew he was an Eagle Scout when he wasn't wearing anything suggesting such a thing - and she said it was all about his attitude at the campfire. I see that as proof positive that you don't always need to wear a uniform to be identified as a Scout or former Scout.

One last thought - while it's admirable to try to get committee members to wear a uniform, its really not essential - it is more important for SM's and ASM's to wear a uniform (they are in a uniformed position) - committee member (even committee chair) is a uniform optional position.

Calico

Interesting thoughts about leaders who were Scouts and uniforms. The SM selectee for my son's troop is an Eagle, the current SM was a Life Scout and the previous SM is an Eagle as well. All three are big on proper uniforming as they believe that proper attire sets a proper attitude (among other things). The SM who was around before all of that was not a Scout and thought that uniforms were silly (among other things).

Go figure.

BOR as a barrier to advancement? As a non-Scout who was the Advancement guy for years, a BOR isn't a barrier to anything unless the Scout or the SM makes it so. The BOR is simply part of the verification process to make sure the Scout in question has actually done the work.

The BSA is pretty clear in their literature that while the BSA uses Uniforms as a method, Uniforms are not required in order to be a Boy Scout. If the BSA say's uniforms aren't required, how could they possibly make a rule that says a Scout must be in uniform in order to go to, let alone pass, a BOR?

I'm sorry, but the above really bugs me. Yes, owning a uniform (or wearing one) is not a requirement for becoming of member of the BSA. However, neither is knowing how to swim, knowing the Scout Oath, ability to tie a bowline, etc. but yes these are requirements for other things. We can debate all we want if "proper attire" can be construed as a requirement for a BOR but I think it is fairly black and white that yes, the BSA may make proper attire a requirement - Scout should be neat in his appearance and should be in a coat and tie or his uniform, which should be as correct as possible, with the badges worn properly - I interpret that as a requirement.

We had a Scout who was stalled at 1st Class for about six months because of his uniform. His father bought him a new shirt and said, "Bring me the patches that you need to go on the shirt and I'll sew them on for you." The Scout never did that. BOR is scheduled and he shows up with bare shirt so gets sent home. That repeated itself numerous times. His father thought that it was hilarious because the boy would never come home from a BOR and say, "Dad, can you sew these patches on so I can do my BOR next week?"

We had a Scout who was stalled at 1st Class for about six months because of his uniform. His father bought him a new shirt and said, "Bring me the patches that you need to go on the shirt and I'll sew them on for you." The Scout never did that. BOR is scheduled and he shows up with bare shirt so gets sent home. That repeated itself numerous times. His father thought that it was hilarious because the boy would never come home from a BOR and say, "Dad, can you sew these patches on so I can do my BOR next week?"

Now this is just wrong! If this was the only thing holding the Scout back from having his BOR, there is a big problem in the unit!