Life Scout Didn't get District Approval

There is a Life Scout in our district that did not get District Approval for his project before he started his project. He has completed his project without District Approval. The Scoutmaster wants the district to sign off on the project after the fact. Help

Thanks

MD

Much as I hate to be the bearer of sad, bad news. The rules are the rules, they are there to be followed.

Help the Lad find a new project, use the book!!

Make sure all the T's are crossed and the I's are dotted.

One of the skills of leadership is following directions another is communication. It would seem that this Lad does need some help. His Scoutmaster could also benefit from a good dose.

Eamonn.

I am in complete agreement with Eamonn. It is explicitly stated that the Leadership Project Work Book MUST be followed for the Eagle Project. The point of the project is no longer (as when I was a boy) to accomplish something for the community. The point is leadership. Following the Work Book- as REQUIRED, is part of understanding this.

The Scout would have to start over in my District and do it right.

It is extremely important to try and make this into a positive learning experience for this Scout. As OGE say, it wasn't for naught if the lad now understands the requirements and executes the project properly. That means getting the signatures of the Scoutmaster, Committee Chairman of the Unit, the entity that will benefit AND the District Advancement Chairman. A true EAGLE will persevere and complete the task.

I make it crystal clear to my Life Scouts what the project process is, way before the fact. In our council, every Life Scout gets a copy of the workbook along with his Life rank badge and card.

This may be an unfair comment, since I know neither the Scout nor the SM in this case. But, think about this: Scout didn't follow the project process, and the SM doesn't want to either after the fact. Coincidence? I think not. Scouts from units that "play loose" can get a bitter reality check when they're faced with external review/approval. Those chickens always come home to roost, eventually...

KS

Hi All

I have to agree with KS. I've told the story before of the 17 year old life scout who transfered into our troop from another state. He came from a troop where the adults did everything for the scouts. They told the scouts when and where to earn MBs at their prearranged MB classes. The adults held all the scouts advancement and MB cards fearing the scouts would loose them. These adults even help set up their Eagle project and guided the scouts every step of the way.

While this scout loved our troop and even became a local hero by saving the life of a drouning baby, he crashed to his knees when he learned that he is responsible for completing his Eagle workbook and setting up his SM Confrence and EBOR. He was a smart enough young man to ask for help and figure it all out, but not without a few sleepless nights.

I asked myself many times to which troop set that scout up more for failure, his that did everything for him to make sure he got Eagle. Or ours that pushed every scout to take responsibility for any and all of their successes.

The scout in question here has an opportunity to learn a lot from this experience. As well as the adults. I wonder....

Good post KS.

Barry

I really hope my posting didn't come off sounding cold and flip.

I really do feel for the Lad. I feel that he was let down by someone. Of course there is a chance that that someone is himself.

We don't know if: 1/ He was never given the right information. 2/ Was given the information and didn't read it.

Having to find and do a new project does seem harsh. If I were the Lad I would be very upset. Still much as I hate to be harsh there just isn't any wiggle room nor should there be. We aren't talking about a hike that falls 100 yards short of the requirement, this is the highest award that we have.

I really hope that there is someone who can be there for the Lad, someone that can explain what went wrong and hopefully that someone can build the Lad up enough to pick himself up, dust himself down and start all over again.

I can almost hear the Lad and his parents snarling. I am sure that blame and fingers are being pointed. I hope the Lad will see that this was His Project, was His Responsibility and that he has messed up.

Still I do feel for the Lad.

Eamonn.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had this happen inmy district and it turned out to be one heck of a service project for the troop and the scouts involved received service hour credit for the time they spent working on it. Apparently the scout wasn't council on the Life to Eagle process very well if something like this happened.