Limits on MB Counselors

That's a District issue, in my opinion. Since MBCs who aren't dual registered as unit leaders are registered only with the District, not with an individual unit, there's no other way to "recharter" them and cleanse your roster, other than getting some sort of commitment. I've seen it where MBCs get letters each November, asking if they want to continue -- please return this form in the enclosed postpaid envelope. Whether it's the MBC form, a letter, or an adult application, they all do the same thing, basically.

KS

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way it works here is that once a year the MBC "czar" for the District sends a message to the Troop's Advancement Coordinator with a list of all the MBCs affiliated with the troop, and asks for an updated list, dropping anybody that is no longer participating, and making sure that all the listed people, badges, addresses, etc., are correct. This works pretty well. I don't know what he does with people who are not affiliated with a unit, but I suspect it is similar.

FWIW,

Our Council advancement committee, through the staff advisor, sends us a MB Counselor renewal every fall. We validate the MBs on the list (including adds/drops as needed) and return it. Those who do not return the response form get purged and then have to re-qualify (YP and MB Counselor training).

Our Council is also minimalist on "memberships at large." District Directors have to justify each "at-large primary" adult membership to the Council Exec.

As far as the app every year, that is part and parcel of District/Counicl At-Large membership, even as a secondary. I do it every fall as a RT staffer for my district.

My two cents.

FWIW,

Our Council advancement committee, through the staff advisor, sends us a MB Counselor renewal every fall. We validate the MBs on the list (including adds/drops as needed) and return it. Those who do not return the response form get purged and then have to re-qualify (YP and MB Counselor training).

Our Council is also minimalist on "memberships at large." District Directors have to justify each "at-large primary" adult membership to the Council Exec.

As far as the app every year, that is part and parcel of District/Counicl At-Large membership, even as a secondary. I do it every fall as a RT staffer for my district.

My two cents.

In response, there is no limit to how many merit badges a counselor may teach. However, in our district, we recommend 10 as the limit. When we do training for our counselors we let them know there is no limit to the number they can counsel, but we ask them to consider their time constraints and the frustration a Scout faces if he gets a no answer when calling to see if a counselor can help him. We also stress that one of the purposes of the merit badge program is Adult Association. IF a Scout can go to the same counselor for a good portion of his merit badges, it defeats one of the purposes of the merit badge program i.e. contact with a variety of adults to gain confidence in talking and dealing with adults.