I've been asked to sit on an Eagle BOR for the first time. It's not exactly an honor, because the boys who are being reviewed are asked to bring along two adults to sit on somebody else's board, and there weren't all that many people to ask. But I appreciate the opportunity. Not having done this before, I would appreciate a few suggestions--should I let the more experienced Board members take the lead and ask questions, or go ahead and ask the questions that I know are appropriate? What's the general "tone" of such a Board--friendly, formal, tough, or what? I don't think I will be getting any paper before the Board--is that typical? I assume I should wear my uniform? Thanks.

The Eagle Board chair (typically the district advancement guy) will likely meet with the board members for 20-30 minutes before the eagle candidate is brought in. He will provide details on how he would like to see the review progress and you should address your concerns/questions at that time. Typically, the chair will have certain questions that he wants asked (either by him or assigned to others) and will also allow some flexibility by the other board members who are more knowledgable of the scout and the unit to ask their own questions. The 'tone' is usually set by the board chair but that does not mean that you should not be true to yourself - if you are a friendly person by nature - then be friendly. I have seen 'formal' reviews and 'friendly' reviews - in my book, friendly wins everytime. The scout is under enough stress already - no need to make it an inquisition. Besides you will get more out of the scout if you make him comfortable. There are some websites out there with sample questions that you could review beforehand. Wear your uniform (I assume you are not a SM/ASM).

SemperParatus advice on searching for sample questions is good. Some I have asked are:

What merit badge are you most proud of?

If you could change one thing in scouts what would it be?

How as being a boy scout made you a better person?

When you joined scouts what boys did you look up to?

What boys do you think look up to you now?

When did you first know you wanted to be an eagle scout?

There are no right or wrong answers to these questions. Remember it's about what is in his heart not what is in his head.

Go, have fun, use it as an opportunity to learn more about the process. If you've got a younger son, or work with younger scouts, it gives you a perspective into what we are trying to grow them into.

I agree, take the lead from the BOR chair. Ours are formal, yet friendly. We divide up the "subject areas" beforehand. Each member of the board can deviate as he/she sees fit based upon the questioning. Our DAC has done it so many times, he can take a boys response and lead down a set of thought provoking questions that aren't on anyone's list.

And, you can be a SM or ASM and sit on an Eagle BOR. Just not one for your troop.

As stated above you need to take your cue from the District Reviewer. Remember it is not an interogation! As a former Eagle Review chairman I can offer these tips. Read over all the provided paper work; this should include the Eagle Application and the Eagle Project write up at a minimum. On the application look at the offices held, the date of the ranks/merit badges, and the different merit badges the candidate chose for his non required ones. This can often give you clues to good questions. Read over the project write up and you can usually find some things to inquire about regarding the planning and the actual implementation.

It's a fun and interesting experience to see how some of the boys think on their feet. Our current Eagle Chair is a lawyer and I have had the privelege of sitting in on a couple of his reviews. He lays out an ethics situation with a "gotcha" in it and then sits back and listens to the answers. I enjoyed sitting in the back of the room and watching the boys I had known for 6 years deal with this.

If I'm not mistaken, a SM may sit in on an Eagle BOR for a Scout from "the troop he serves" as long as it is not his son. Now, "sit in on" means he may view it silently and only respond if asked a direct question. He would not be a member of the board that conducts the review.

acco40 is correct. SM typically introduces the scout to the board and with the board chairman's permission may 'sit in' as an observer and to answer questions of the board that may relate to the unit. SM does not, however, participate on the board by asking questions of the scout. Proper protocol is for the SM to ask the board chairman if it would be acceptable for him to observe.

meamemg,

That would probably depend on whether the BOR chair thinks of asking you - some may and some may not. I would see no problem, however, with you selecting the SM or ASM that you want to have introduce you to the BOR (and thereby possibly 'sit in'). Of course, in doing so be as diplomatic as possible. Go to the SM (you don't want) and respectfully ask that you would like to have ASM (who you do want) introduce you because you have developed such a strong relationship with him. I remember when I first became a SM, I was more than happy to let the old SM (then an ASM) introduce the boys he knew best at their Eagle BORs.

Further clarification regarding SM on boards. And, I realize that each council has their own practices, so some may have some "local rules" that apply.

A Scoutmaster or ASM can "sit in" and view a BOR. Although, I believe this is really frowned upon. The reason is that it is thought that the scout will be more forthcoming and honest about the program if the leaders are not in the room. I'm not sure, but I think they are not allowed if it is their son.

Now, for Eagle BORs (in our district), the troop provides one or two people to sit on the BOR and the District Advancement Chair provides one or two people. Therefore, the Eagle BOR typically has 4-5 people on it (including the DAC). The people the DAC brings can be SMs or ASMs in other troops. This is how I've gotten to sit on BORs in our district.

Hi Hunt,

Our District Advancement Chair. was really busy this year building a new house, so I got to sit in on a lot more BOR's than I normally would do.

We do look at the project and spent a little time asking about his part in it, things like "How did it feel to be the leader?" What would you have done differently?

We look back over his Scouting Career, and chat about his MB's which was the easiest? Which was the hardest?

What did he enjoy most /least about Scouting.

I ask (One of my!! questions "If we were to add a new Scout Law what do you think it would be? If we were to take one out, which one would go?

We chat about his POR's in the troop?

I like to ask about the people who have helped him get this far.

We talk about what comes next? Depending on his age. College? Job? Remaining active?

I know most of the Lads that we have coming up about now, I have seen them since they were little fellows attending Day Camp and at Camporees. I always went out of my way to come across as a nice friendly old chap!! It would be wrong of me to try and come across as something else. I try to set the tone as if this was a friendly job interview. Many times the poor Lad is very nervous and some have a hard time remembering their own name!! There does need to be some sense of decorum, it would be very unfair for the a Lad to sit through a overly friendly chat and then come back to find that he wasn't successful !!

I have while the chair hasn't been there met with the Scout before and explained that this is a review and we are trying to find out as much as we can about him, that we are not there to trip him up or trap him. I explain how the board works and what will happen if he is successful, I also cover what happens should he not be successful. I ask if there is any questions.

Eamonn.

A protocol question:

I understand that - with the permission of the Board Chairperson - the SM may introduce the Eagle candidate to the Board, may silently observe the proceedings (as long as he is not the father of the candidate), and may answer a question of fact that is directed to him by a member of the Board.

However, after the candidate has left the room and the Board members are reviewing his answers, may the SM participate in that discussion?