District Eagle Project Coodinators

WOW! New to the forum...you guys (and gals) are really committed (or should be?!?). Turned over my SM role a few months ago and now taking it easy being an ASM, MBC, OA guy, Eagle Advisor, etc. etc. Plenty of time to surf the net now too. Anyway, from starting a new troop from scratch 4 years ago (now up to 45 scouts) we have 8-10 who are just getting into their Eagle projects. In our district there is one 'Eagle Project Coordinator' who is the only door for project approval. He has been doing it since the great flood, a nice guy and seems to go out of his way to help the scouts. But with a district of 5,000+ he has his hands full. It is not uncommon for scouts to wait a long time (months) to get meetings and workbook reviews. The District Advancement Committee has at least 20 people on it - it seems that there could be more than one district 'EPC' to help things move along at a faster pace. My questions - Is having only one man as the District Eagle Project Coordinator standard? Even for larger districts? Is their BSA policy on this? Is this just a control issue?There was an outcry about the situation in the past year (that project approval was moving at a snail's pace) and there was supposed to be a big district meeting to discuss - I wasn't able to attend but from what I heard, nothing is changing. It does seem from reading the Council list of new Eagles that our district lags behind others. I apologize if this has been discussed already. Your comments would be appreciated.

WWBPD

Submit through another district? Is that possible? Would we then have to use the other district for the BOR chair? If we used our district BOR chair...he may have some big questions as to why we did not go through our own district's project coordinator. I can hear the poor scout explaining that to him.

WWBPD

Deut. 23:13

It is not unusual for the DAC to approve all Eagle projects. If the DAC is then on the Eagle BOR, he can tell if the project was done the way it was supposed to be. At the end of the project, the only signatures required are those of the representative of the organization that benefitted and the SM or Advisor, Coach. What was proposed to the DAC, may not be what was done.

There is NO excuse for a delay of months to have the review by the DAC. A phone call to the District Committee Chairman may be all that it takes. You should go to the next District Committee meeting and discuss this with the Advancement Committee and Committee Chairman if that doesn't work. If the Advancement Committee cannot review these projects in a timely manner, then they need more members to assist in the job.

As a District Committee Chairman, I would respond quickly to such a call and make sure the problem was fixed fast. Fortunately, our DAC reviews projects within a week or two of when they come up.

Thanks Boleta. The delays have been a part of our district for at least 10 years now. I think the problem is that the DAC has been hammered about it so many times that they have 'dug their heels in' and are no longer looking for help, advice or changes. DAC chairman and the Eagle Project Coordinator have been in their roles for over ten years now and seem very content in the delays. My understanding is that folks have tried to get Council to address but that has gone nowhere. But your 'week or two' to review sounds like heaven to me and gives me hope.

The council advancement committee can give permission to submit the project and board of review through another district. Ask them. Explain the delays you're experiencing. Talk to your unit commissioner, district executive, program chairman, and district committee chairman too.

A District of 5,000. That sounds very big. I know of six Councils in Maryland and two of them don't have 5,000 in the Council. Yipes!! 5,000 is way too big.

The National Guide line is to have only 1,000 in a district.

I think the district Advancement Committee would need to look at breaking the District down into smaller manageable parts and having four or five people share the load.

The thing that is odd is having a District this large. I would think that there would have to be more than one of everything.

How many troops are there in the District? Are you counting in the LFL programs?

My heart goes out to the poor overworked DE.

Eamonn.

If your COR attends the District Committee meeting and complains things might change - It's worth a try!!(This message has been edited by Eamonn)