50 Miler Patch Question

Is it inappropriate to order a 50 miler patch for an adult leader who completed a Philmont trek with a group of scouts?

My book shows it is presented to "each qualifying individual for satsifactory participation in an approved trip". No mention of youth or adult participation ... only 'each qualifying individual'.

Assuming that the planning was team-based, the trek was of sufficient length and duration, and the service hours were completed, shouldn't every person be considered and not just the youth members?

Thanks in advance:

MTDScouter

Ok, I guess I asked for that ... :) I shouldn't ask the question both ways.

Is it absolutely inappropriate? (in response to the first question).

or:

Absolutely every person be should considered and not just the youth members? (in response to the second)

Scouter

feeling sheepish for making a silly post.(This message has been edited by MTDScouter)

No one is telling me that FScouter, and it was my belief that any scout or adult leader should qualify.

My concern came from the phrase in the Special Opportunities section of the BSA Requirements Book. It states:

"Here are the qualifications for additional opportunities for Boy Scouts and Venturers to improve their skills and to serve others."

I'm planning a COH, our Scout Exec will be in attendance ...

Just double checking my understanding. :)

MTDScouter

I confess this is not a 50 miler comment. It is an adult award recognition comment though. When we went to Gettysburg and and did the historic trails activities we had more than the usual number of adults come along on the trip. A number of them were associated with a Cub Scout Pack because their sons had younger siblings still in Cub Scouts. All the adults that participated were presented with the historic trails award medal. I think some of the adults are prouder of that medal than the scouts. The Cub Scout Leaders proudly wear their medal on their uniform and it has been a great conversation/recruiting piece for us when the Cubs ask, "Gee Mr. W., what's that medal? How'd you get that?"

There's probably not much worse than getting unsolicited advice on a side topic, but that's what I'm about to give. Please forgive me for being so bold.

MTD -- you said, "I'm planning a COH, our Scout Exec will be in attendance ... "

I'm pretty sure your Scout Executive would agree -- don't do anything with him there that you wouldn't do without him there. Remember, he's a guy like anyone else.

Besides, giving a guy a 50-miler that he's earned is doing the right thing. I'm glad you're willing to check into it. I do have to agree that it is absolutely the right thing to do.

Unc.