Teachers as Merit Badge Counselors

My half-beaver, half-bird patrol guide mentioned an idea of registering your local teachers as merit badge counselors. Back in the day, I got my merit badges done at camp and when I got on the phone called the counselors, set the appointments, and went to their place of work or home to get the tasks completed. I don't think any of our scouts have earned any merit badges outside of camp or at meetings.

What if......we signed up teachers to serve as MB counselors? Comments? More importantly, what teacher could you marry up job related merit badges for? Reading MB = English teacher. Sports, Personal Fitness, Athletics = PE teacher.

Let's build this list. Go!!!

In my next of the woods, the Detroit Science Center (plug!) put on some awesome MB programs at their facility. They utilized high school teachers who not only know the subject matter but are very familiar with the Scouting program (the vast majority are Scouters). They had excellent programs for Chemistry, Astronomy, and Weather. If the summer camp program rates a 4 (on a scale of 1 to 10) I would rate the Detroit Science Center program as a 10 plus! They were very explicit about "homework" and coming to the classes prepared. No merit badge mill. Bottom line, teachers, especially teachers that know the Scouting program, can be excellent MBCs. My oldest sons HS Band Director (an Eagle Scout), is a MBC.

Art Teachers for Art, Graphic Arts, Pottery, and Sculpture.

History Teachers for American Cultures and American Heritage.

Speech and Drama Teachers for Theater and Public Speaking.

Music Teachers for Music and Bugling.

Drafting teachers for .. Drafting, of course.

Shop/Industrial Arts for Auto Mechanics, Electricity, Electronics, Home Repairs, Leatherwork, Metalwork, Plumbing, Wood Carving, and Woodwork. (depending on their specialty and the size of your school)

The opportunities are endless, and if you've got a good District Advancement Chair, he should be checking these out and actively recruiting.

MTDScouter

That half Beaver half Bird guy must have a funny tail? The summer before last I was the Troop Guide for a very wild Beaver Patrol. Please don't tell your half and half guy that I let you know but he says that you guys are "A good bunch."

Our Advancement Committee has been actively signing up teachers as Merit Badge Counselors. So far it is working out well. We have had a few problems with teachers that were unwilling to complete the application form with the S.S number. I'm not sure why.

Eamonn.

I sent an email to a friend who works at our K-8 to see what he thought of the idea and who did he think would be up to signing on immediately.

Our Boatswain (Boats), who starts as offensive guard and defensive tackle's team won 41-6 against those city boys from Chicago last night. The people sitting around me lost it, when I asked my son, "Matt, did you see that pass?" and he said, "Dad, look a tractor, John Deere!" He's not a gamer yet. Favorite colors are still Caterpillar Yellow and John Deere Green.

I won't tell.

Years ago there were a lot of teachers registered, I know I got Woodworking and Personal Fitness through teachers. Woodworking covered all the req. just had to get a B in the class, and supply a blue card. Personal fitness was through a gym teacher,he had all the info through the Presidential PF program. They already have the work done, if they would be willing to register. Later

My Troop was very isolated. (Troop 98, Bad Kreuznach Germany) We had to hunt for MB Counselors. Teachers were a great resource. My JROTC teacher was my counselor for Rifle/Shotgun, Public Speaking and P.fitness. Band Teacher for Music. Auto Shop Teacher for Automotive.

Great Resources!!!

CE