Eagle Project benefits a business - sort of

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noah,

Welcome aboard. I expect you thought you had a fairly simple question. Suprise!

My thoughts on this tend be with those that would allow the project. From the scout's perspective he sees a school with a need and would like to help the school. I assume, he attends this school. It is his community. I doubt he sees it as for-profit, non-profit, S or C corporation. To him it's his school or at least a school.

He sees the need for a flag pole and volunteers his services to organize and lead an effort to build one for the benefit of his school, classmates and community. I doubt he's volunteering this service to add to the bottom line of the coporation that owns or runs the school. If during a review of his proposal I asked him why he wanted to build a flag pole for the school, he answered, "Well I'm a shareholder of the company that owns the school and this way I might get a larger dividend." I would deny the project. But if he said he just wanted to help out the school he should be allowed to proceed. I share the view of others that this project can be made to be of sufficient size and complexity where the scout would be able to demonstrate adequate leadership and organizational skills to be worthy of an Eagle project.

My two cents.

SA

Sometimes it helps to understand the requirements if you know what they were in the past and how they have changed.

When the wording of requirements changes from year to year it is for a reason. National feels that an ambiguity can be clarified. Or a requirement that is too difficult and exclusionary can be simplified or given an alternative i.e. Lifesaving or Emerg. Preparedness instead of just Lifesaving.

Hunt presents a reasoned argument, but the current requirement states ANY school. This is a change from the past when it was less clear as to what school could benefit from the project. Now, if it says any school, I would think that any school would do.

• 5 weeks later...

In Noah's original note, he states: "In and of itself a flag pole is not terribly difficult to do and would not require a whole lot of leadership." This all depends on who is putting in the pole. I couldn't do it and have it stand straight! I think it will take leadership skills to get the job done correctly. I do wonder about the school financing 1/2 the cost of the pole. I am new to the Eagle project area. I know that you must earn the money for your project. I would just get advise from people who are in charge of signing off on the Eagle project before doing anything.

I am really confused about what qualifies as an Eagle project. We have a troop in our town who has given our Eagles to several for planting gardens kindergarten age kids could do. Last night one comes over inviting our Scouts to his project that is going to plant "two shrubs" and take "13 hours". This kid was a trouble maker when he was in our troop, and everyone was very sure his grandmother was the one who was doing his badge work. This is very sad.

The Eagle candidate is required to make whatever arrangements he can devise to obtain materials, equipment, or anything else that is needed for the project. Money may or may not be involved, but if money is needed, part of the plan must include getting the money. That's part of taking leadership for the project.

That is incorrect also FScouter.

The Eagle Scout is required to plan and give leadership to a project.

He could do a project where all the materials are already there or he is given the funding to purchase the resources he requires.

The only thing the advancement policies state is that the project itself can not be a fundraiser. But that fundaising is allowed to be a part of the project but only for the purpose of purchasing needed equipment. But it is not a mandatory element of every project.

There does not have to be fundraising involved. The Scout does not have to buy the supplies. The Scout does not have to arrange for the equipment himself. Depending on the individual project those things might already be available. He is required only to plan and give leadership.