Posting Religious Awards

Two Scouts I know have completed their age-appropriate religious award. :)

The question is: As an advancement coordinator, to obtain the purple square knot from the Service Center, do I submit the fact of their rewards on an advancement report???

TIA

YIS John

I'm guessing here but I am fairly confident that the answer is no. The advancement report for Packs deals with rank and arrow points/actvity pins. For troops, rank and merit badges. The religious awards are really a bastardized type of BSA award. It really is an award that is awarded by the religious institution, not the BSA, but recognized by the BSA and allowed to be worn with the uniform. The award is a medal, not a knot. The knot is a symbol that the medal was earned.

I know many bash those who attempt to correct grammar but being rewarded and earning an award are vastly different things.(This message has been edited by acco40)

No offense intended but to answer the question ...

"to obtain the purple square knot from the Service Center, do I submit the fact of their rewards on an advancement report???"

The answer remains, "No" but your local scout shop might have a policy regarding issuing any knots.... ours does.

"To obtain the purple square knot" our leaders present the certificate that is presented to the Scout/scouter. A copy will do in our case.

Give your local scout shop a call before heading down (and especially before alllowing another person to make the trip while assuming that they'll just had 'em over.)

While these may not be Scout emblems in the strictest sense our council & the emblems counselors that I know seem fine w/ this check on eligibility to display the award.

Unlike NWScouter's case most of our religious groups only present the Medals --units or individuals obtain their own knots.

Bob

In my council you can walk in and buy the square knot for anything excluding the James E. West Fellowship, and the Professional Training Award, which are only available from the National supply division or the Professional Relationship division. My councils feelings are, The awards are the medals, plaques, or certificates and not the square knot, and we just keep everybody on the honor system. I personally feel this is the right attitude to have.

I'm with you scouting-nerd. I own multiple shirts. If I need to "replenish" my knots, I should be able to go in and buy them. If one is so low as to buy knots they have not earned, I pity them.

What bothers me is that when I have originally earned an award and either I or the unit submits the proper paperwork, the district/council awards a knot and not the medal! So right now I have a couple of knots which represent medals I have earned but do not possess! That's a hoot in my book.

I sort of know who has received the adult religious awards in my area especially the Lutheran ones. The purple on a sliver background is the knot for the adult religious recognition awards, (Lutheran Lamb, LDS On My Honor, Baptist Good Shepard, Catholic St. George, etc.). We have Scouters using those knots for the mentor award. Quite a difference, one takesr a month of class versus the recognition takes over ten years of service.