Tenderfoot Requirement #10 Exercises

We discussed changing our requirement of having the boys keep a log and turning it in at our last Committee Meeting.

The CC presented the fact that in the very beginning of the handbook, where requirements are described, it states that a scout should practice the excercises every day. I told him that those explanations are there as a guide, and that we have to follow the wording of the requirement.

His reply was "Where does it say that this is a guide?" I could not find that wording anywhere in the handbook.

Can anyone please explain? He has a good point.

The requirement says "30 days" not "30 exercise sessions". Likewise, it says "show improvement" not "perform one more repetition of each exercise than you did before".

What's the intent of the requirement? That the lads internalize a lifelong appreciation for a healthy lifestyle? I think so, but if we don't hook 'em at TF, we have another chance at the Personal Fitness MB.

Let's put this in perspective. For the Eagle-required Personal Fitness MB, a 12-week exercise program is required. If a Scout designs a program that includes 3 workouts per week, that's 36 workouts...for an Eagle-required MB. Should TF require 30 workouts?

In my opinion, it's worded somewhat vaguely on purpose, so that unit leaders can apply their judgment to those situations that warrant it.

That certainly doesn't excuse sleazy behavior by an adult leader/parent.

KS

This is a really great requirement for the older scouts to administer. In fact in my limited experience the scouts are tougher on themselves than the adults would be.

We usually have the older scouts test them and then retest them 30 days later. In my opinion the requirement is designed to open the scouts eyes to the benefits of exercise, not to force them to build huge muscles in 30 days.