Activities outside of meetings

As we are all aware, in order to get First Class, a Scout needs to attend ten activities outside of troop meetings, including a certain number of overnight camping trips. My troop camps about ten times a year and the other two months, we'll do a day long activity. A Scout that is active should be able to make First Class in a year.

In preparation for our backpacking trip in September, we are holding weekly prep hikes (about 1 1/2-2 hours each). The purpose is for the Scouts to get some miles under their belts before taking on a long trip. We'll end up doing 7-8 of these hikes before the backpacking trip in September.

My question is this: should these prep hikes count toward the ten activities? I'm leaning both ways on this and would like some opinions on what people think. Thanks in advance.

Will the hikes be "hosted" by a regisered troop adult who is over 21 and will at least one adult (over 18) also be in attendance? If so, I would count it as a troop activity.

I may be wrong with the leaders thing, can a 19 year old ASM go out with a 40 year old dad?

If so, I would count it

2nd Class requirement 2a

"Since joining have participated in five separate troop/patrol activities (other than troop/patrol meetings), two of which included camping overnight"

Yep they do. Sounds as if your program will provide the boys with tons of activities. Keep up the good work.

Count 'em.

The only thing I don't count are things that aren't really troop activities. For example, the pack has a rocket derby and some of the boys will go and help them with it. We don't count it because it's not a formal troop or patrol event.

EagleInKy

That sounds like a borderline service project. Why wouldn't you count it? Do all the Scouts have the opportunity to attend? Are the Scout who do attend representing the Troop? I would personally want to give these boys credit for their efforts. They are performing a service to the pack and helping the Troops image at the same time. Win Win.

Paul - We have counted some things like that as service projects or activities. That one came to mind because it's not really anything done officially. I would say that most (all?) of the scouts that go have brothers in Cubs. They mainly go to play and launch their own rockets, but usually get drafted to help.