Conducting BORs at Camp

I've heard of troops conducting BORs on campouts, I'm curious as to what experience you've had with that. Does it work well? I'm particularly interested about doing it at Summer Camp. We've got six boys who are one requirement away from their next rank (Tenderfoot, 2nd Class or 1st Class). Any of these boys could potentially complete the requirements while we are there. I can easily conduct the SM conference, and we have the committee members present to conduct the BOR.

Our troop always does BOR during summer camp if enough Committe Members are there. We had an interesting one done last year. Some background, most of our troop brings bicycles to Summercamp. One afternoon Scout and his dad, an ASM, are riding around during free time. Scout falls off and breaks arm. Dad takes son to hospital. Scout has finished Scoutmaster conference for a rank advancement. Dad asks son about BOR, Scout wants to go back and finish BOR before going home and that is what he did.

That same week we had one Scout sitting in a BOR while the troop packed up to leave. They stayed while everyone drove out to the gate and when finished they walked out.

As some of you may remember our troop has a large dad involvement and almost always has enough Committe Members present during campouts to do BOR.

Be afraid, be very afraid. Someone, or several someones, involved in advancement at that camp are unfamiliar with the BSA advancement policies. Tenderfoot through Life ranks require a minimum of three committee members from that scout's unit to do the board. Say "thanks, but no thanks".

If you cannot get three committee members there for a few hours wait till you get home and convene one ASAP.

A word of warning from experience--if the Scout doesn't have his handbook with the requirements signed off in it along with him, don't do the BOR based on his recollection that he's done everything. Also, don't do it if you don't have an advancement report along with you to sign.

I think committee members from the boy's troop would be better. It gives them a chance to get to better get to know the boys in the troop. Plus, they can get feedback from the boy regarding the Scoutmaster and about the troop's program that can be helpful. Disinterested camp staff could probably do a good BOR from the boy's perspective, but there would be no value coming to the other side of the table.

Sometimes I forget that not everything offered through "official" scouting channels is correct, and boards of review with summer camp staff is one of them.

Bob and FScouter,

I think both of you read something into EaglenKY's post that I didn't. It looks to me as though you think he said that the BOR would be made up of committee members from either the camp (that confuses me: I didn't know a camp had its own committee members), or from other Troops. It seemed to me that the post was saying his Troop's committee members. And if so, there shouldn't be any problem.

Frankly, campouts are my favorite place to do Boards of Review. I always seem to get deeper, more thoughtful answers in Scouting's most natural setting than sitting in a classroom.

I say if you can meet the requirements, have at it!!!

Mark

Thanks everyone. We will have plenty of our troop's committee members at summer camp. Five will be there most of the time. Unfortunately, our advancement chair is not one of them. But, two of the "regular" BOR members are going to be there. We'll have their current advancement status sheets as well as their handbooks, so that's not a problem.

I really like the idea of doing it while they are totally immersed in scouting, vs at a troop meeting when they've got 40 other things on their mind. Plus, we can give a little extra recognition on family night Friday evening.

As an advancement chair, I think my job includes making sure the SM and Advisor have current records and BOR reports before they kick out to camp. That way, they're prepared.

Of course, I'm going to camp as well, so I'll have copies too :)

I'm also of the belief that the field is one of the best places for a BOR. There are too many really neat and special spots at camp for a boy NOT to have at least one BOR there.

John(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)