Incomplete merit badges

This is my first "spinoff" thread, so we will see how this works.

If memory serves me correctly, I was told a long time ago that there was a national policy that merit badges had to be completed within six months of beginning them. More recently I have heard that this "statute of limitations", if it ever existed, no longer applied. A scout could now theoretically take years to finish a merit bade.

Is this true? Was there ever a six month cutoff, and does it now not exist?

Related to this question is the status of partials when MB requirements change. If a boy is working on an eagle required badge, and the requirments for the MB change, it is my understanding that the boy is "grandfathered" in to the old requirements. Is this correct?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only rule that I know of in the last 3 decades was that the scout had until his 18th birthday to complete his merit badge.

The Scout can complete under the old requirements or under the new, but not using a mix of both.

What may have changed (just conjecture here) is the fact that if a Scout started a MB with counselor #1 and then later (years later) restarted his efforts and attempted to complete the MB with counseor #2, counselor #2 is usually more willing to accept the partially completed MB now than many moons ago.

In retrospect it is kind of amusing to realize how much one thinks one knows turns out to be wrong. It is kind of like the sheath knife rule. One thing I have learned from this forum is not to assume that I know a particular policy, rule, or procedure unless I have heard it in a training session or seen it in writing. Even then, many volunteer trainers are ill informed or insert their personal biases, and publications are out of date or contradictory.

I know many counselors that won't give credit for old work after certain period of inactivity. If the person is actually taking that long to complete the badge, sure that is one thing. However, if they completely stop working on the badge, and then later decide to start again, I have heard of many people that will refuse to give credit for the old work. Most I have heard use either a six month or one year time period.

Is this official BSA policy? Most certainly not.

Is there any way to make a merit badge counselor sign off on something if they don't want to? Again, no.

Should these counselors be creating such standards? Probably not, but then again I think they can refuse to work with someone for whatever reason they choose.

thank you eisely

You have hit the nail on the head.

"unless you see it in writing."

If you want to know what boyscout policy is you have to "READ" their written documentation.

So much of what is discussed here is opinion and belief. NOT FACT.

Having said that, I love reading these forums. They are entertaining and I learn from them. I loved the discussion about knives and matches.

But you can not read something here and ASSUME it to be fact unless a source document is provided. Period!

I have been searching the forums for information regarding the "longevity" of blue cards. The information I have read in this thread, (thank you Bob White) reflects my understanding.

My dilema is:

I was told by our camp director that blue cards issued at summer camp may be worked on until...whenever. But, blue cards issued OUTSIDE of camp have only one year to be completed.

This does not seem to make much sense.

I have checked the National website regarding Merit Badge requirements, but it does not mention ANY time limit for completion.

Is this then the answer to all of the above replies to this post?

Is there anywhere that can offer the "official" BSA policy on the life expectancy of a blue card? -Because I cannot find a thing.

I have several boys who are close to Eagle who have gotten partials in the last couple years and would love an answer to this question.

Thanks,

Tom

The answer to your question is covered in " Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures WW330880, 1999". Your advancement committee person MUST have a copy of this. If not it is available at the scout store for about $5.

Here is an the exact quote "Earning merit badges gives a Scout the kind of self-confidence that comes from overcoming obstacles to achieve a goal. Through the merit badge program, a Scout also learns career skills, develops socially, and may develop physical skills and hobbies that give a lifetime of healthful recreation. The steps to follow in the merit badge program are outlined in the current Boy Scout Requirements. This book lists the requirements a Scout meets to earn each of the more than 100 merit badges that are available. Scouts must be tested individually, and they must meet all the requirements. No additional requirements may be added.

A merit badge cannot be taken away once it has been earned, provided the counselor is a registered counselor for the merit badge.

There is no time limit for completion of merit badges other than age 18."

You can also go to www.cccbsadvance.org/policies. for an on line copy.

Hope this helps.

I grew up with the game of Monopoly. I became very good at it over the years. One day I sat down and read the rules. To my surprise some of the rules that I thought were rules were really modifications made-up by our family and friends. What I also found out is that few people ever take the time to read the rules.

Scouting has many of rules that are written down. Everything is not a rule, so some of us have made rules based on our experiences. This forum has been a way to clarify many of those points. It has lead to some bitterness and to some positive changes.

I for one am surprised by many of the rules that are written down that I failed to read.

FB

On the inside cover of the book- Boy Scout Requirements 2004, "the requirements for merit badges, ranks, and Eagle Palms are effective January 1, 2004. These requirements are effective through December 2004" and "The requirements in this book are the official requirements of the Boy Scouts of America". This book even overrides the Boy Scout Handbook for CURRENT advancement requirements. Pages 22-23 have the introduction to merit badges. On page 23- "The requirements on the following pages might not match those in the merit badge pamphlets because the pamphlets may not have been recently revised." If requirements are altered for merit badges or rank, the new requirements are in effect in the calender year.

Although I cannot find it, I have seen a reference that says the old requirements can be used if started on within 3 months of the change and completed within 6 months of the new requirement.

The current- Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures manual 33088C states on page 24- "The steps to follow in the merit badge program are outlined in the current Boy Scout Requirements. This book lists the requirements a Scout meets to earn each of the more than 100 merit badges that are available. Scouts must be tested individually, and they must meet all the requirements. No additional requirements may be added. A merit badge cannot be taken away once it has been earned, provided the counselor is a registered counselor for the merit badge."

We have had several instances where the blue card was signed by a summer camp counselor but we knew that requirements were not complete. The blue card must be signed by the unit leader before it is submitted. This may be a final control by the unit leader to make sure (especially in the case of Eagle required MBs) that it was properly earned.

If you know that all the requirements were completed but the counselor signed the blue card, then your beef is with the counselor not the scout. Punishing the scout by disregarding the counselors signature does nothing to correct the errors made by the counselor and you are prohibited from doing that to the boy.

Once the card is signed the merit badge is earned. If you have a complaint with the counselor notify you district or council advancement committee, it is their responsibility to approve or remove counselors.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

I agree with you, Bob, that the beef is with the counselor--but what do you say to the scout about it? If this happened with my son, at the very least I would urge him to do the requirement, even after the fact, so he could feel proud of the MB. (I.e, if he comes back from camp with a Lifesaving MB, but tells me they didn't bring up a 10-pound weight because the lake was too muddy, I'd say, "Hey, let's go to the pool and do it so you'll feel confident that you really can do all the requirements.") I'm less certain about what a SM should do with respect to the boys in the troop. Would it be wrong for him to make such a suggestion?

I agree with BW in principle, but let's examine the reality. In 2000, my 11 year old son went to a weekend campout MB giveaway. Our troop did not realize the nature of the program. My son "earned" First Aid Merit Badge by sitting in a class for 4 hours and left with a signed blue card. No examination was required. CPR was not covered. It would have been inappropriate for the SM to have signed this card. My son had the character to agree and retook the MB at summer camp the next year. I think it would have "punished" him to give him the MB without earning it.

The issue of the requirements is addressed on the usscouts web site. A letter from National is referenced. A link to the site is http://usscouts.org/mb/framesindex.html

If the scout starts the merit badge, then those requirements can be used until he is 18. If a MB is discontinued, then he can still get that badge until he is 18 if he has started it before the year that it is discontinued. If he chooses to use the new requirements, he must use all of the new req. and not mix the old and new.