Incomplete merit badges

"By the way, Bob, I think your observations about summer camp programs are interesting. But can you imagine what Scout camps would be like if all merit badge classes were dropped?"

No Twocubdad I can't. But then I am not aware of anyone in this thread making such a suggestion. I know I certainly did not.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't mean to imply that you had. Only that it is an interesting proposition to consider. Instead of having hourly merit badge classes to addend, what if boys had the same facilities and activies available to them and the opportunity to simply do whatever they wanted? Would they just hang out and do nothing? Would they find the one activity they really enjoy and do it all week? Would they complain that there is nothing to do?

Instead of having hourly merit badge classes to addend, what if boys had the same facilities and activies available to them and the opportunity to simply do whatever they wanted?......this is exactly what we have in one of our Council  Camps called Open Program. With the exception of the waterfront there aren't any Merit Badge Periods. So the boys decide what Merit Badges they will work on and go to that area and stay for as long as they like. And even at the waterfront if a boy wants to work on Swimming Merit Badge or lessons for 2 periods he can. All the areas are open after dinner...and non-waterfront late into the evening. The first year camper program was a little more structured. We went the first time 3 years ago(right after a council merger) with a group of nearly all 1st year campers and some boys completed lots of work, some just a little and some just hung out at times...but we moved those along.

That's a whole lot different than dropping them!

I have no problem with an ongoing demonstration and instruction. My concern is that the staff is qualified to teach the skill, The counselor is the one to test the scout individually and that he/she is 18 or older, that the scout is required to do what the handbook requirement states, that accurate records are kept, and most importantly the scout chooses what to do not the scout leader.