Alternate Rank Requirements

I have a new scout who has a disorder where he can not do pushups or pullups for fear of damaging his shoulder or elbow joints. We are in the process of getting a medical statement from his doctor. My question is what alternate requirement could I use to cover tenderfoot pushups and pullups? Has anyone run into a situation like this? Could these two be waived? Thanks for any advice you can give.

There will be other ideas on this, I'm sure, but as you look at our opinions you'll get the picture.

In my opinion, you don't just drop the requirements, you change it to appropriate. You first need the note from the scout's doctor that verifies the problem (in my experience, we had a young man in a wheel chair, that had learning disabilities too). Maybe the doctor could suggest OTHER activities that are part of his physical therapy? Maybe leg lifts, maybe something else.

The young man from our unit is still working on eagle. For swimming/hiking/cycling (I mean how do you fill those requirements when you can't move below your arms?) his requirement was changed to Archery. We are still working on a replacement for Physical Fitness. We haven't come up with something that really fits, but we will.

Hope this helps, you'll find something, but don't hesitate to use his doctor. In our case, it really made a difference for us. Good luck!

Don't forget that you have to get permission from council to use the alternative requirements. I haven't been involved with this (but expect to next year). My understanding is that the approval is supposed to take place before the work begins.

Get the pamphlet from your council service center on Scouts with Disabilities. It explains how to get alternate requirements approved. The whole thing starts with a meeting with the boy's parents, and goes from there. If the lad sticks with it, alternate requirements are going to be a regular issue, including alternate MBs if physical activity's a problem.

KS

Good catch, I should have started my post with the following:

Step 1, ask the parents for a letter from the scout's doctor.

Step 2, contact the district advancement chair.

I proceeded with my post assumiong those IMPORTANT steps had already been done.

Good advice - start with the Pros - they've dealt with this before. And get parents and doctor involved.

The Tenderfoot fitness requirement is an easy one. Purpose is to introduce new scout to the concept of regular physical activity to promote and improve personal fitness (one of the 3 Aims of Scouting). By regularly exercising for 30 days, the scout can see improvement and hopefully be encouraged to continue in some regular activities so he can continue to improve - leading, again - hopefully, to instill a habit that leads to a lifetime of improved personal fitness.

If pushups and pullups put too much stress on the joints, perhaps the doctor (or physical therapist) could recommend some alternatives, such as arm lifts or pull-downs with light weights. Say, for instance, that Doc doesn't recommend doing arm lifts with more than 5 pound weights. The Scout could start the program by measuring how many he could do, work out for a month, and measure the improvement. Scout knows he has limits, but also sees first-hand how he can still improve his fitness with regular exercise. Mission accomplished!

It's actually easier to work around physical limitations than social/emotional/psychological ones. I'm not a pro, but the leaders in our troop which have researched it say there's less leeway in working around the leadership requirements for advanced ranks.