Hello all,

I am new to the posts and also new to the Eagle Service project process so I have a question. It says in the Eagle workbook that the project should benefit a group, organization, or the community. I have a Scout who wants to build a wheelchair ramp for a man and wife in his neighborhood who has recently been disabled. I think it's definitley a worthy project but am not sure what to tell him. I appreciate the time.

Hi and Welcome to the forums.

It sounds fine to me. However just to safe I would run it past the District Advancement Chair. Before the Lad starts just to be safe.

Eamonn

Sounds like a great project. Has your Scout looked at the disability awareness merit badge?

Eamonn very appropriately suggests running the project past the District Advancement Chairman. However, I thought that was a mandatory part of Eagle projects and not just a nice to do thing. Am I wrong that an Eagle project must be approved by the district/council before beginning?

Neil is right on the money.

See page 2 of the project workbook.

I was thinking more along the lines of a general OK, before the Scout started making too many plans. Being as this couple might not be seen as a group in the eyes of some people.

Eamonn

As someone that chairs that committee for my district, I would like to respond. I would tell you that I only reflect what our district does, and suggest that you speak with your local folks.

You must have the project approved before work is started, and so take your time getting your ducks in a line. Maybe even a phone call to the person, might help you see if they share my opinion.

I have friends that have a son in a wheel chair. We have built a couple of ramps for this family. In fact his troop has built ramps at some of the camps they have attended. There is some work involved.

I would not approve a project like this in my district. I wouldn't do it for a couple of reasons. First, last time I checked families are not non-profit organizations. Refer back to the instructions, and you'll see you should do work for a non-profit group. Second, I wouldn't approve the project due to lack of service LEADERSHIP hours a project like this entails.

I would encourage this young man to get his troop involved in building this ramp. The family could REALLY benefit from a good deed. Scouts that were working on Life & Star ranks could benefit from the service hours available. I have a problem with the LEADERSHIP hours this project would provide.

I hope I've made this clear. Good luck in your search, something with more leadership potential will show up, and that will work beter.

Thumper,

Could you please tell us the number of "LEADERSHIP hours" which you estimate a wheelchair ramp to provide and the minimum number of such hours which you would accept for an Eagle Scout project?

I again would refer to the Eagle Project Workbook. I see that it says Religious Institution, School or your community.I think that the project would fall under the community heading.

As for Leadership, I don't know one end of a hammer from the other. I wonder what style of Leadership the Lad would need to use to get a ramp out of me?

We have an advancement chair in our council who is big on hours for Eagle projects. Last time we met he was going on and on about 100 hours. I was busy thanking my lucky stars that he wasn't in our district.

In my book the leadership shown is the biggie, not the hours.

Netman, check with your district and good luck.

Eamonn

Thanks to all for your time. I wanted to get some info before going to the district with this, because as a Scoutmaster, I have 5 lifers preparing for eagle and they are my firsts. Thanks again for all you guys do.

I agree that this would not be a good Eagle project as it benefits the couple, not an organization. Perhaps the project could be carried out under the auspices of an organization that does this sort of work for the handicapped/elderly.

I do think this would provide leadership "hours". I recently chaired a project to have a wheelchair ramp put into our Scout house. With all the ADA requirements, construction planning and supervision, this would be a worthy Eagle project. Yes, I know it cannot benefit the Scouts, which is why it was not an Eagle project.

AggieScouter hit it on the head. The project would not be approved because it would benefit an individual. According to the BSA website (emphasis mine):

"Routine labor (a job or service normally rendered) should not be considered. Work involving council property or other BSA activity is not permitted. The project also may not be performed for a business or an individual, be of a commercial nature, or be a fund-raiser."

Here's the link: www.scouting.org/boyscouts/eagleproject/projects.html

I agree with everyone else who said this would make a great troop project -- I'd recommend you treat it like an Eagle Project and get the boys involved in the planning. It would be excellent "practice" for their upcoming projects.

While I can see how this might be seen as a project that doesn't fit under one of the headings. But I wonder what if that would change depending on who done the asking?

Let us say that the local church asked for the rail for these elderly people ?

Does that change things?

Eamonn

If it won't meet the criteria for an Eagle project it would still be worthwhile doing as a troop or patrol project and it would qualify for service hours for the participants.

To answer Adrianvs, I look for at least 40 hours from the prospective Eagle, and that he should have less than half the total man hours on the project. Hope that helps. When you do the math, you'll see you have to either have a really small troop, poor participation from the troop, or a very short construction phase to not make this guideline. To try and drive the idea home, it's a guideline, and we aren't hung up on exact numbers for hours. I mean not every scout/varsity scout/venture comes from a unit of 50.

I totally agree with the previous post from frankj. I think you'd be wise to think of things from that point of view.

Good Luck!