Too big a Bite? Lifesaving, Env Science, Wilderness Survival

Thank you all for your replies. I will pass the information on to overachieving number one son. I especially enjoyed the tale by LPC_Thumper about perking the boys Friday night with dessert:)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mrs. Smith,

Thumper stole some of my thunder, but let me tell you of an experience in which I was involved.

For the first summer camp for which I was the lead adult, we had a group of 5 2nd year Scouts, most of whom we viewed as overacheivers. One was my son. Early in my career as Adnvancement Chair, I took it upon myself to meet with each Scout, find out what MBs they wanted to work on, and develop a schedule that would allow them to get to each of their classes. These five guys all wanted to work on Lifesaving, Env. Science, and Wilderness Survival. When I worked out the schedule, they had a block of time in the early afternoon that just begged to be filled, and I convinced them all to work on Archery, too.

During the week, I watched as they ran from Env. science to the waterfront, then tried to get their observation time in before they had lunch and off to archery. They tried to get in some more observation time before Wilderness Survival, and then did dome more work at the waterfront on Lifesaving.

Thumper's vision of report writing is almost identical to mine. I remember going in to check on my son's progress, and seeing these guys all holding flashlights for each other while they wrote their reports. The rumor was that the MB Counselor had a scanner, and he was scanning the reports into his PC and checking the word count to make sure there was 500 words, so they were all counting words, and trying to figure out how to stretch a 400 word report to 500 words. No one was having any fun, and they all let me know that they'd never do that again.

Turns out that most finished Lfesaving, Env Science and Wildersness Survival. None finished Archery. My son had to complete Env. Sience at home. He would tell you now that this was one of the best character development efforts he ever had, but it sure wasn't fun. And I have spent 8 years blaming myself for making this summer camp a miserable experience for these guys.

If your son understands what trying to tackle so much will cost, and it is HIS choice, I'd certainly let him go for it. But I witnessed 5 guys who would not make that choice for themselves, having gone through the experience once already.

Mark

Brings back memories. First yr I went to summer camp with the troop, they were signed up for Env Sci, mostly 1st and 2nd yr campers. Us leaders hadn't read the pre-reqs or requirements and were suprised to find out the scouts were getting partials in env sci. They never mentioned they had to do 10 hrs of observation and write a 500 word report! After camp, we did the observations as a troop and a few started writing their essays. One essay contained a 100 word description of a pine tree - A pine tree is tall. A pine tree has brown bark. etc. Almost all of our scouts do swimming 1st yr and life saving 2nd yr.

mk9750 and Sandyt888

Thanks. I will pass on your admonitions. As suggested by OGE and John-in-KC, he went to the summer camp website and checked on the prerequisites which can definitely be completed beforehand. That pumped him up and has started on writing the EnvSci reports already (on the computer with word count built in). He is trying to get another go-getter to start early with him.

• 2 months later...

My first year at camp (1979) and I failed basket weaving; still never completed it. (yet I finished soil and water conservation???I am just craft-spastic)

I remember my years on camp staff. You would pray for the scout with most of the paper work already completed; this way you can really instruct the cool stuff.

Wilderness Survival can be completed year round but for some reason, it was always cooler to do at summmer camp.

Lifesaving is the tough one, and thats the one he should really shoot for. I chumped out and got emergency prepardness (for a sea scout, I was a terrible swimmer-thus lifejackets were invented).

Good luck!!!!

Old Grey Eagle, don't get your breeches all tied up in a knot. Never said I was embarrased at earning the EP merit badge, nor did I say other people should be either. Just a personal observation that I should have pushed myself a little harder and tryed for the Lifesaving MB.

Thanks for asking. He had fun and he finished summer camp with Lifesaving, Environmental Science, Wilderness Survival and election to Order of the Arrow. He had a partial in Camping. That prompted a patrol camping/canoe trip to complete requirement #9 by the merit badge makeup day. With that out of the way, summer was a huge success for our house. Ready for fall. Personal Fitness is on the agenda.

"sweet" is more current, however "fat" is also correct, although I believe that "fat" and "sweet" need to be used in different sentence structures. "Cool" can still be used in conversation, so long as one is using it in an "old school" phrase.

For example: "When I was a kid, summer camp was cool." (not reference to past times, thus old school)

"My kid came back from camp and said it was sweet."

"Yo-that camp is fat."

Sorry, bad humor. Guess this proves I have no life.