Are there any ways to fund raise for an eagle project

Good Morning!

What will the funds be used for?

Could these materials or services be donated by the suppliers?

A visit to the vendor in at least your field uniform with an outline or drawing of your Eagle project can make it easier to solicit funds. It is often best to target particular sources for certain supplies. (Lumber from the "home center" is a natural, but keep an open mind and notebook in case additional materials might be available. If the manager says, "What are you going to use to hold those boards together?" he might just be offering the "nuts & bolts" or nails & deck kit as well!

Service organizations such as the Rotary, Kiwanis, fraternal groups like the Elks, Lions & Moose, and even local gov't can be a source of cash contributions.

Again whether your talking to a store manager you might really be doing a 3-5 minute presentation to the decisonmakers (maybe even a group's "Executive board" meeting so come prepared with some type of outline, brevity & clarity are keystones of such a presentation. Be preparfed to acknowledge contributions on the spot & after project completeion in writing. (Pictures of finished project are often appreciated by donors & definitely good publicity for the troop.) One of our lumber yards has a "wall of fame" with photos of the Eagle projects to which they have contributed materials.

As an aside, anytime one of our leaders stops into the local home center for ANY hardware (Scout or home related)or even if I just stop in to shoot the breeze, Terry's parting line is, "Thanks for thinking of us. Let us know when your next guy starts his (Eagle) project."

He's never been a scout or leader, his son was not a cub, scout or crew member but some folks really enjoy being a part of Scouting in their community!

Too much said!

Bob

Canyon289,

Bob has some great ideas here is my two cents worth.

Make up a itemized list of what you are going to need to complete the project consumable; nails, wood, paint, etc. nonconsumable; hammers, shovels, safety gear, etc. and services; dump trucks, backhoe, etc.

The nonconsumable stuff you should be able to get on loan or have the volunteers provide it when they show up

Present the lists to your troop committee hopefully they should be able to give you leads on who can provide what or start asking around at the local hardware stores service clubs etc.

Hope that helps and doesn't sound too scary

YIS

AK-Eagle

Im going to ask the scouts to bring hoes and other things but I need expensive things like weed cloth and staples. The mulch company I asked will only waive the shipping cost of 75 dollars but the 275 the mulch costs still remains.

Why can't you contact teh companies with your needed list and see if they will donate? Lumber Cos, Garden centers, and places like Costco or Sams might be willing to help you with what you need or at least give a good discount. Local businesses may also be willing to donate money or supplies.

The worst they can do is say no.....

Oh, and what I meant to add to my last post is that an Eagle project isn't really for doing the project itself but to demonstrate your leadership skills. Why can't you organize a service to the community with your troop as the laborers and collect donations? It can be something as simple as a carwash or something like a dinner drive. A local scout just had put on a Pancake Breakfast for all the scouts doing the Scouting for food and took donations for the breakfast. The local businesses donated the food and kicked in money for his project as well. I know of any scout that helped organize blocks of time and labor with his troop and friends as laborers at a concession stand at a ball field and the concessioner paid him money for the time and effort in trade to go towards the Eagle project.

Canyon289,

Welcome to the camp fire!

Look in the Yellow Pages and news papers for your friendly local stump grinder. He may be able to supply you with all the mulch you can use. Also, Look up tree services for wood chips.

My family has owned both over the years here in CT and we'd do just about anything to dump a truck load for free. I recall showing up at a farm in our pick up truck and asking the farmer if he needed two truck loads of free chip... Later that night two large dump trucks unloaded. Still feel a bit bad about that trick.

Point is, try looking for sources that want to get rid of something rather than asking a retailer to take a hit in the pocket.

Good luck!

On a related note, we have a boy who is developing his project now. As he has asked me for guidance, I passed along to him a warning that I know might be urban legend.

May a boy solicit and accept cash donations for his Eagle project?

I'm certain I have either read or at least heard that this is not allowed - a cash donation must be for a product or a service equal in value. On the other hand, I can't find any policy on this. I see a comment like this in the Unit Fundraising application (I think that's what it was called). But there is no discussion about fundraising for Eagle Projects that I can find except that the project itself cannot be a fundraiser.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Mark

Mark, As far as I know, a Scout can ask for cash donations to help with his Eagle project. I've known of a few scouts who did just that. He's asking for it in his name for the purpose of his project, so I don't think the normal unit fundraising restrictions apply. I've never been directly involved with one that did, so I'm not sure if they sought formal approval or a ruling from the Coucil.

I was thinking about getting some free chips when the manager on the other side said that he would like us to use Aqiunaga wood chips for uniformity.

I appreaciate all your efforts to help a person you don't know and I thank you for it.