Who may initial requirements in a Scout's Handbook?

The Scoutmaster is in charge of the advancement program. No ifs, ands or buts about it.

In our troop, we have some limited sign-off by the youth but not much. At one point, we had quite a bit but I don't think the boys handled that responsibility very well so I pulled in the reins a little. Too many were "demonstrating water rescue" in the church basement type of thing. We don't have any Troop Guides just yet but I plan on having them very soon and will give them responsibility for the boys in the patrol they oversee.

I do not accept parent sign-off formally but I do informally. Let me explain. For example, if a parent tells me his Tenderfoot seeking Scout had such and such a time in the quarter mile run/walk I pencil it in and sign it off (or one of our SAs). I take the parents word but they don't actually sign the book. If I expect abuse, I have a built in check and balance.

Please remember, the goal of Scouting is not to obtain the rank of Eagle. That is a nice by-product but not the over-arching goal. It may be the goal of the parent or youth, but not the program. As such, keep advancement in perspective.