Counting Service Hours?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What the heck is an Alter boy? Another phrase for a girl? A boy who participates in alternative activities than the ones sanctioned by his church?   My biggest beef with service hours is boys (a

Actually the term altar boy is archaic in the Roman Catholic Church. Now that Servers may be female or male (watch out OA guys)I do think Acolyte is a more fitting term and I have heard it used.

But then I am from an era where the Altar boys such as I learned our prayers in latin and recited them proudly if not dreamily at 6:30 am mass on a weekday during the summer. BTW I had to walk uphill 3 miles both directions in a blizzard to get the church as well.

Our Church uses the term Altar Servers.

My Dad actually did walk to and from school uphill, both ways. He lived on one side of town, his high school was on the other side of town, and a river ran through the middle of town. He doesn't talk much about blizzards, though.

Actually and Acolyte in the Catholic church is far different from an Altar Server.

Altar Servers can be male or female, adult or youth. An Acolyte however, is a cleric ordained by the Bishop and can only be held by an adult male in the Roman Catholic Church.

Altar Servers are often designated to perform some of the duties of an Acolyte during the celebration of the Mass. Acolytes however are often given community responsibilities, as well as his duties during the Mass. Acolytes are in the highest minor order of the Latin church and are just below subdeacons.